009 ⎯⎯ We Want Jazz Hands

— act one, scene nine: we want jazz hands

act one, scene nine: we want jazz hands

༺♥༻

     "Sorry if I kept you up too late," Ricky said, his gaze never leaving that of his new friend's appearance.  Megara wore grey sweats and an oversized grey sweater with an alien face embroidered on the right side of her chest.  She dragged her fake fur-lined K-Mart version of Uggs on the concrete as they walked into the school.  "I would've invited Big Red over, but..."

     "He can't dance," Megara finished for him, laughing.  "Yo, you really can't either."

     Wincing, Ricky placed a hand on his chest.  "Ouch."

     Megara shrugged, ignoring him.  "Eh, don't worry about it.  It was fun," she smiled, wrinkles forming around her eyes.  Her cheeks had been so sore from all the smiling and laughing she did the past 24 hours.  It wasn't every day that you got to see Ricky Bowen try to become Troy Bolton, complete with his father giving him pointers and cheering him on, even going as far as rating his last dance a solid twelve out of ten.  "What changed your mind anyway?"

     "Gina, actually," Ricky breathed out.  "Yeah, she uh, caught me at the park."

MEGARA: Gina Porter... skating?

     "She was babysitting," he answered like he had read her mind.  Megara nodded.  "But the point is, she made me realize that I made a commitment to this thing and I gotta stick with it.  Stick with you."

     Megara nodded, letting a laugh escape through her lips.  She had to admit, she found this new hobby of his — and his approach to it — utterly hilarious.  "Right..."

     Luckily, Megara had all the choreography from the movie memorized since she was a kid, which was now proving to be a big help.  "Remember when we'd watch Disney movies like High School Musical at my house because my mom didn't know what to do with us?" Ricky asked, followed by a laugh of his own.

     How could I forget?

     She nodded, her low bun brushing against the back of her neck.  "Yeah, good times," she smiled, more laughter tumbling out of the boy's lips.  Megara was just happy they could laugh about it now because, at the time, they really hated doing anything together.  And now, here they were, helping the other rehearse for the winter musical — something neither party thought they'd ever do.