24 - Em

I was not prepared to see the statues.

Hearing Beatrice scream about the onset of the curse all those weeks ago was enough for me. I didn't want to see what the curse looked like at all, let alone go anywhere near it, but the pain in my arm decided to protest otherwise and by this point the agony was unbearable. The entire time we walked to the hospital wing, Diego's arm never left my shoulders. His face morphed into one of concern, his expression guarded, and I couldn't help but wonder what had gotten into him now that made him want to look out for me.

Not even his presence prepared me for the statues that were laying on two of the beds in the ward, along with the sights of Professors Dumbledore and Snape and Madam Pomfrey crowding around one of them, whispering in low voices. Just a simple glimpse of the stone that encased their flesh was enough to make me want to scream, the terror gripping at my throat to choking point. Their eyes, wide in shock and terror, would never blink again. Their hands, raised for help, would never feel anything, hold onto anything, until the worst of the rampage comes to pass. 

No one would ever hear their last scream.

"So. You're here to investigate the curse, too?"

I haven't heard Ben's voice in a long time, but it wasn't one I would forget so easily. I quickly turned around now to see him approach me and Diego, his face looking rather sour as he stared me down.

"No, Ben. As a matter of fact, I'm here to see Madam Pomfrey so I could get something for my elbow," I decided to tell him.

"Don't you already have it immobilized and placed in the cast? Though if you ask me, the person who did it must have done quite the sloppy job."

"Look, I'm here for my reasons, alright? I didn't want to see this," I snapped, gesturing to the statues. "And I didn't want to talk to you."

"Shame. I would have liked to talk with you further, actually," Ben said then, folding his arms. "Then again, I do have other witches and wizards to interrogate in Knockturn Alley. I was actually in the midst of talking with one certain Dark witch with five teeth and demanding her for Rakepick's whereabouts when your sister decided to step in with an owl and asked me to come back to Hogwarts due to an emergency."

I should have known Ben would continue to sneak about Knockturn Alley after my sister told me of his strange behaviour the last time she caught him there. Funny how we didn't cross paths with him when Jacob showed up though. Then again, I haven't seen him since the first time we met in the Artefact Room, so I assumed he was avoiding us. Total contrary to what he's telling me now.

"Well, I'll have you know that Sickleworth has recently been spotted on Hogwarts grounds," I reported. "I suppose that's why my sister would want to get in touch with you. You know how to find him, after all."

"Me. Find Sickleworth. For you?" Ben shook his head, a scoff escaping his lips. "Last year, when Sickleworth went missing, your sister told me I was obsessed with finding him. And now you're asking me to help you search for him."

"Only because you know where he might be. You know Sickleworth best out of all of us," I snapped again. "And what is it with your attitude, anyway? If you ask me, I'd rather you go ahead and face Rakepick straight away without any preparation whatsoever. I'd like to see how that duel would go."

I wouldn't normally pose such a threat, but Ben was supposed to be one of Clara's friends. If he's acting this snarky, though, there's no way the label still applied to him.

"Aw, look at that. Little badger with a broken arm decides that I'm the one who needs help," Ben mocked with a roll of his eyes. "What is up with you, anyway? Aren't you supposed to get your nose out of this business?"