I

Ancient Rome
Angelina Theodosia

I combed through my curly hair with my fingers. My servant applied a little makeup to my face. She applied the rouge to my cheeks delicately. Looking in my mirror, I could see my mother saunter to me gracefully. She placed her hands on my shoulders and stared at us in the mirror.

"You know you've been of age for a while now. You can't reject him. You need to seduce your new suitor," my mother told me. My mother and father had arranged for me to meet a new suitor for potentional marriage. I had rejected the last two men as they were rude and vile but I didn't think they will let me reject this one.

"Does he love me?"

With a fake smile, she said, "Yes. Of course he will. He will give you a prosperous life and you will provide him a child."

The servant finished applying the cosmetics and bowed to us before leaving. Another servant entered and informed us that General Antonio Ferdinand had arrived. He was my new suitor who I had to meet for potential marriage. I hoped and prayed to the gods that he was a decent man. I shuffled to the window and gazed at his carriage gracefully rolling by the horse that pulled it.

She ordered, "Come now. We must not keep the men waiting."

I followed my mother to the courtyard. My silky red dress flowed behind as we strided into the garden. General Antonio and Emperor Leo were standing tall under the sunlight. The men turned their heads towards us.

"Please meet my beautiful daughter, Angelina Theodosia," My father, Emperor Leo, intorduced me proudly. He continued, "Angelina, please meet General Antonio Ferdinand of the Roman Army."

General Antonio eyed me and smiled. His skin was bronzed and glowed under the sunlight. He shook my hand with his rough right hand.

"Hello, Angelina. Will you take my hand in marriage?" he asked so suddenly and bent to one knee with a hand on his chest.

I laughed nervously in shock. My heart raced and my hands shook in excitement. "Oh, yes. I suppose," I responded surprised by his sudden gesture. My parents clapped softly and their faces wrinkled when they smiled warmly. The General lifted from his knees and slid a golden ring on my ring finger.

"This is perfect for both of our families. We've already negotiated and made plans," My mother admitted happily.

My father happily announced, "In celebration of your engagement, we will be hosting gladiator games at the Colessum."

I twisted the ring around my finger in thought. This was all happening so fast. I had just met this man and I was expected to marry him. I didn't feel like he was my true love but I would have to marry him. If I rejected this marriage I would be shamed. A social outcast, I would be.

We headed to the dining room to have dinner together and discuss wedding plans.  My father would be giving us a dowry of land and servants. My brother, Francesco, congratulated me and I fake smiled. Father bragged about how the gladiator games would feature the best gladiators in the land. I always thought the gladiator games were rather cringey than entertaining. The brutal and gruesome duals between sweaty and blood-coated men were difficult to watch. However, I was forced to watch them since I was a child. Soon, I would have to watch more rounds of grotesque fights to celebrate my arranged marriage.

"Ah, the galdiator games...Very exciting! The army will be pleased with the show. Don't you think so, Angelina, dear?" Antonio exclaimed in his deep voice and squeezed my hand harshly under the table.