IX - Wedding

It's finally the day of the wedding. The moment I woke up I was whisked into preparing for the wedding. The servants weaved flowers through hair and applied natural makeup. My long wedding dress trailed behind me as I entered the carriage. Emperor Leo, Empress Priscella, and my bridesmaids rode the carriage with me to the house of worship. Citezens of Rome cheered for us and tossed flowers on the path of the carriage.

The room was decorated with various flowers that filled the room with a floral scent. I walked down the aisle of the temple, my bridesmaids trailed behind me. The rows of seats were filled with relatives, friends, and co-workers. Everyone we knew was here to witness our marriage. Their eyes were burning holes through my veil along with Antonio who was standing at the end of the aisle with the priestess. Antonio was in his uniform, the full armor and red cape. With slow, careful steps I approached him. Clarissa walked me down the aisle as tradition and gave me away. We took hold of eachothers' hands.

The priestess began, "Janus, god of beginnings, bless this couple. Angelina Theodosia and Antonio Ferdinand unite as a couple, no longer single. We ask that Juno, Goddess of marriage and birth, bless this marriage, please."

Everyone closed their eyes and tilted their heads down in prayer. The priestess rid the room of evil spirits and asked the good spirits to join us. She continued to bless us. Then, as rehearsed, I said, "Wherever you go, also go I, your wife."

Antonio flipped the veil over my hair. Cringing, I kissed him. When I pulled away the audience clapped and cheered. I couldn't believe I was Angelina Ferdinand. It was so surreal. To everyone, I was Angelina Ferdinan. But in my head I was Angelina Theodosia.

We moved to the wedding reception ceramony at my parent's villa. There were banquet tables of food and entertainers playing music on instruments.

Taking the oppurtunity, I shoved a fistful of messy cake onto Antonio's face. Snickering and mocking him felt joyous and vengeful. His face twisted in annoyance.

Guests were gifting us things such as tapestry and horseshoes for luck. We made our rounds of talking to people. My eyes scanned the crowd of wealthy Romans. Then, I spotted him striding towards us. Ramses.

Ramses and Antonio immediately struck up a conversation about his gladiators. "I owe all of my fortune to him. He brought honour and great wealth to my house," Ramses said about Harry.

"He would make a good soldier..." Antonio thought out loud and continued, "Perhaps, he could be a soldier. How much money is he worth?"

"15 million sesterces."

Antonio snickered as he was taken aback. "That barbarian slave can't be worth that much. That's the cost of a hundred houses!"

It disgusted me to hear men talk about Harry as if he was just an object to be bought and sold. A human life is worth more than a hundred houses.

"He and I have a deal. He's fighting for his freedom. If you buy him for more than his freedom is worth, he is your solidier."

"Will you be in Pompeii for our honeymoon?" I interrupted them.

Ramses nodded and said, "Yes. I will be there. I'll bring my champion for you."

We said goodnight to Ramses and exited that conversation. My mother pulled me aside to tell me how proud she was that I was doing my duty and honoring the family. I bit my tongue.

We rode the carriage back to our new villa granted by my father. Traditionally, he carried me to the bedroom bridal style and I knew what was supposed to happen next. The candles lit up the room. The space between us was extremely awkward. My feet were cold against the floorboards and I was shivering. I carefully poured a glass of wine for him. Suddenly, his presence was behind me and he tugged at the knot tied around my dress. I gasped. My dress began to slip away but I held it together.

"Please, drink. It's my gift to you, " I stalled.

I turned to face him and handed him the wine glass. He chugged the alcohol down and set aside the glass.

"Where's my gift?" I asked sweetly, batting my eyelashes. I noticed how he immediately began to sway. He stumbled and swayed over to the bed like a baby learning to walk. He scooped up a necklace under the bed and turned to me. His eyes were distant and glossy. He clasped the necklace around my neck. I watched him weakly fall back onto the bed.

"I feel so sleepy all of the sudden," was the last thing he said before he fell limp and closed his eyes. I layed a gentle and cautious hand on his chest to check if he was alive or not. He was breathing. I lied next to him as far as possible.