X - Pompeii

We arrived at Pompeii for our honeymoon. Pompeii was a wealthy and beautiful city by the ocean. I heard so much about it and I was finally experiencing it. There were many people from all across Rome visiting and enjoying their vacation. We were renting a room in a villa that had a perfect view of the ocean and the mountain.

I admired the art on the walls. Some of the murals advertised gladiator games. There was a painting of Harry on the wall which advertised him as the champion of Rome. I traced my fingers over the painted shapes of his muscles. He was here in Pompeii. I longed to see him again.

The city was bustling as people were lining up for Pompeii's ampitheater. I fanned myself with my feather fan as we took our seats. Pomeii's theater was a bit smaller than the Colleseum. The performance started with actors mocking the conquer of Harry's land. The actors waved around wooden swords and the 'barbarians' pretended to be savages. I was not impressed as the actors were very dramatic but the audience was still entertained.

Finally, the performance ended and the gladiator games began. It was Ramses' gladiators against his rival. Swords clashed. Finally, Harry stepped into the ring. Usually, he ignored the crowd but this time he was entertaining them. He raised his arms to the sky as if the gods were reaching for him. The audience screamed for him and chanted his name. 

As he dueled his opponent, Antonio studied my face for my reactions. I could tell he was annoyed that Harry had my attention and Antonio had barely recieved any attention all day. Everyone was here for Harry. His frustration grew by the minute until he rised from his seat. The audience silenced.

"I will duel the barbarian!" he screamed with his head held high. The people gasped and whispered. They watched in anticipation as Antonio stepped down the rows of seats and jumped into the ring. The sand blew underneath his feet. He unsheathed his sword and stalked towards Harry confidentally. My heart raced as he approached Harry. One of them was going to die.

Antonio's advantage was that his armor was heavily layered. His only vulnerable area was his neck. Harry had the advantage of being younger and quicker.

Harry raised his sword and positioned himself for battle. Antonio swung furiously. Their swords clashed. The audience didn't know who to cheer for. Do they cheer for their beloved champion or their war hero?

My hands were sweating while I fanned my face. Antonio was frustrated as Harry dodged every swing. Harry dodged swiftly and it looked like they were dancing circles around each other.

"Fight me, savage!" Antonio screamed. He continued, "Or are you a cowardly dog?!"

The audience chuckled at his taunt.

Harry flicked sand into Antonio's face. Antonio staggered away and choked on sand. Harry sliced at his knees causing Antonio to hiss. The crowd cheered for Harry.

Antonio pointed his sword at Harry's neck and roared, "C'mon! I'm your general! I keep this country safe from savages like him! You should be cheering for me!"

Harry was about to strike but Antonio rolled away causing Harry's sword to strike sand. Antonio sliced Harry causing him to hiss. Despite being exhausted in heavy armor, Antonio continued to swing furiously. He knew he met his match and Harry could not be beaten. Antonio's swings became less strategic and more sloppy as he was consumed by ego and competition. In an attempt to disarm him, Harry sliced a part of Antonio's wrist that was not coated in armor. Antonio groweled in pain and the pain pryed his fingers open causing his gladius to fall. Harry held his blade immediately against Antonio's throat. I breathed a sigh of relief.

A woman next to me gasped, "How iconic!" and fanned herself.

Antonio fell to the sand, his knees weak. Harry looked to the audience to decide Antonio's fate. Antonio's eyes darkened with fury.