14: Friendship Never Dies

Leo and I instantly connected. We spent the next few quarks raiding the cafeteria and trying exotic new food, doing aerial spins and somersaults in the zero gravity chamber, as well as licking ice cream while watching the space clouds shift from the resort's rotating third floor common room. Leo told me all about his family, where he grew up, and his life living in space.

His father and mother were scientists on a mission. They were searching planets for a miracle cure that would wipe out the dreaded pox that had consumed their world and taken his sister. It was a noble cause for sure, but after years of research, Leo said his parents were beginning to lose hope. They came to the Wingspan from time to time to refresh before returning to their search. Despite witnessing many cultures, trying strange foods, and seeing many different worlds, Leo was tired of traveling. He didn't have any friends because he was never in the same place long enough. I had trouble relating, perhaps because I was somewhat jealous of Leo.

"I wish I could have traveled with my parents across the galaxy," I said.

"What do you mean?" he asked, licking his ice cream before it could drip on his fingers.

"My parents died and left me alone."

"Oh." Leo rubbed my back. His eyes drifted into mine. "Hey, you'll see them again."

"Really?"

"Yeah." Leo pointed out of the window. "There is a popular belief where I'm from. My parents say that everyone who dies becomes a star. That way they can watch over those that they love and the sky never runs out of light."

"But don't stars die?"

"Everything does," said Leo. "But the cool thing about stars is what's left behind can form into new planets and new stars. Life doesn't end simply because something goes away. It keeps going. It keeps changing."

"Thanks, Leo." I pushed back tears. "That really helps."

"What about you, Eddie?" He said kicking his feet up on the table. "Where is your home?"

"I don't know anymore," I said with a heavy heart. I stared out into the endless blanket of stars. "I thought I knew. I thought I belonged there. I did everything I was supposed to do. Go to school, follow the rules, but now... oh, Leo, I don't know."

Leo placed his hand near mine.

"Well, where do you want to be?"

I crunched on the ice cream cone. It tasted sour and not at all like the ones from Earth.

"I guess, I want to be where my parents wanted me to be. No more being between here and there; no more being a shadow." I curled my legs close to my chest. "My whole life I've sat on the edge of everything not knowing if I should climb higher or jump down. For above me is the unknown, the stars, and a place I one day wanted to see, but now having been there, I look down and see everything I left behind. It makes me sad because not all of it was good, the memories are painful, but not all of it was bad either. I'm lost."

Suddenly my ring began to glow. A glittering string appeared and shot out into the great vastness of space.

"What is that?" cried Leo looking curiously at my hand.

"A Never-Lost Ring," I whispered. "It shows you the way when you are lost." I stood up and approached the window. "Little ring, are you pointing me to where I belong?"

An old woman wrapped in a mountain of scarves glanced over at us from a nearby chair.

"Quite beautiful is it?" she hummed, nodding her head. "The golden thread that guides the lost heart." She slowly stood up and came to stand next to me. She ran her old hands across the thread, a grin escaping her wrinkled features. "Did you know, child, if you listen closely you can hear the stars speak. They say a great change is coming. A power has been released into the universe. All my years I have heard the whispers of the stars, but until now they have never been so loud. My child." The old woman smiled at me and placed her hand on her cane. "A great destiny awaits you. The stars warn to be careful of whom you place your trust in. They say when all seems lost to always remember to follow your heart. Love is what makes wishes come true, Eddie Eversby."