19: The Djinn Strikes a Bargain

Celeste and I hopped off the glowing platform onto a beautiful marble courtyard. Trees sprang up in big golden pots every few feet creating a pathway to the spire's lavish front entrance. Beside the entrance stood two Wish-Hunters armed with long diamond-tipped spears. As we approached, the two doors slowly opened to reveal a bright interior of white stone filled with veins of gold and silver. Columns covered in carved images told the story of the Djinn, his return of the lost star, and his promise to watch over wishes. Dangling from the ceiling were blinking lights. From below the effect acted like the night sky and its endless twinkling of stars.

I followed Celeste down the long entrance hall marveling at each wonderful sight. She saw my open mouth and chuckled.

"Like what you see?" she said glancing over her shoulder.

"It's all so beautiful," I responded.

"All that you see is thanks to wishing. The Djinn has a never ending supply. He can make anything happen."

"Where does he keep all his wishes?"

"In a place only he knows called the Wishing Well." Celeste stopped walking. "Don't tell him I told you that."

"Of course not," I said.

"I'm sorry if I frightened you when we first met. I was sent to collect you and arrest that scoundrel that abducted you. Perhaps I was too forceful in my approach. Beign that you were from Earth, I should have considered that you knew nothing about Wish-Hunters."

"It's alright," I said tucking my chin to my chest. "All that matters is that I'm where I'm supposed to be."

We began walking once more.

"You know, Wishmaker, I watched EvoEarth when I was your age. I always loved looking at your world. So full of life and beauty, I often imagined what the flowers would smell like or how the trees sounded in the breeze. Consider yourself lucky to be born on such a planet. When you travel the universe like me you begin to see how rare it is for places to be so green and contain so much life. The planet I came from was covered in constant storms and little grew except inside the habitation spheres that kept out the weather. My family was poor and hungry. EvoEarth was my escape, my dream, and if I had a wish like you, I would have wanted it more than anything else. Becoming a Wish-Hunter was my way to a better life. I have the Djinn to thank for that."

"But you steal wishes from children. Children like you who would have wanted a better life. Does that not make you think that what you are doing is wrong."

"Children should not have the power of a star. They don't think about the repercussions of their actions. If I had wished for my world to be as green and beautiful as yours, people all over the universe would come to see it, and as such fight over it eventually destroying it. My wish would have led to nothing but fighting, pain, and loss. That is why we take wishes from children. That is why your world is on the no contact list. We preserve the beauty and only sell wishes to those who the Djinn approves."

"So you intend to take my wish," I said, placing my hand over my pack.

"Galaxion is different," said Celeste as we reached a set of stairs. "Your wish cannot be taken. It can only be given."

"And I bet the Djinn expects me to give him Galaxion." I raised my chin in protest. "Not a chance."

"We'll see," said Celeste.

At the top of the stairs appeared a man with blue skin and a blue beard. His suit was expertly tailored. His eyes shone bright green and his teeth white as stone around him. If Hollywood had taught me anything about genies, they were normally blue. I knew without a doubt that this man was the Great Djinn.