15: One Last Chance

Along the wide window of the rotating third floor, Celeste sat in a chair with her legs crossed and a permanent scowl plastered on her face. She gave off the aura of intense displeasure as her fingers tapped on the chair's arm waiting for Jupiter to speak. The Wingspan Nebula twirled outside. Its light filtered into the dark empty room playing a kaleidoscope of colors.

Jupiter looked down at his bound hands. The glowing rope was digging into his skin making it painful to move them. Five other Wish-Hunters stood around him, their Alcemators at the ready should Jupiter decide to make a sudden move.

"Well," said Celeste.

"Well what?" asked Jupiter.

"Where did they go?"

"You tell me, Wish-Hunter," said Jupiter. "You're the one holding all the cards."

"Their ship has a cloaking device," snarled Celeste. Her fingers curled into a fist. "It is impossible to detect their location."

"Not so," argued Jupiter motioning to the Alcemator attached to her hip. "You can always wish."

"Waste a wish? Definitely not. This matter can be solved without wishing. Unlike you rich folk, we don't have access to never ending wishes. Even us Wish-Hunters have a limit. You should know that, Jupiter, former Number 2."

"I retired from that job long ago." Jupiter looked away. "What you and your organization do is wrong. Stealing wishes from children is wrong."

"And yet you use one of the Great Djinn's products." She tossed Jupiter's Alcemator in the air and caught it. Celeste leaned in close to Jupiter's face. "You're a hypocrite."

"I only use wishes because I have to," he said. "This resort is partly sustained by wishes. It is your Great Djinn that gives me no other option. It is all a money game." Jupiter sighed. "I remember hearing stories as a kid of the Djinn and his duty. If you were chosen for a wish he would appear to you and guide you to the right choice. When he turned away from his promise he corrupted wishing, made it something disgusting."

"I'm not here to talk politics or share old stories." Celeste stood up. "I'm here to locate the Wishmaker and her kidnapper."

"Novus did not kidnap Eddie," cried Jupiter. "The media is wrong. He is a good guy. Sure he's got some flaws, but Eddie is in good hands. Better her with him than with you. They said you were the one who attacked them on Earth. Of course the media ignores that fact." Jupiter smirked. "Tell me, Wish-Hunter, what does the Djinn have planned for that little girl? I know Galaxion is unique. No other star can match its power." Celeste remained silent. "So that's it," said Jupiter leaning back. "The Great All-Powerful Djinn can't just take the wish like any old star. He has to be granted its power since it was Galaxion who gave him his power in the first place. That's why you want Eddie."

"We don't question what the Djinn has planned. We only carry out his orders. And you, Jupiter, are preventing us from doing that." Celeste stomped her foot. "So I suggest you quit asking questions and start answering them. Where is the Wishmaker going?"

"I don't know," said Jupiter. "And even if I did, I wouldn't betray a friend. That star chose Eddie for a reason. Something big is about to happen."

Celeste paced back and forth along the window.

"The only thing about to happen is the shutdown of this resort. You will be left without a home and a career. The Great Djinn gives and also takes away. Do you dare defy him?"

"The Djinn is powerless without the stars!"

Suddenly there was a bright flash of light and the smell of singed carpet. When the smoke cleared, a man with blue skin dressed in a sharp suit stood amongst the group.