Chapter One

A WOLF HOWLED in the distance, the sound echoing through the thick foliage of trees. The blanket of darkness that hung above the skies grew heavier, ridden with storm clouds that sparkled with dazzling electricity. Every second or so, a line of pure white shot through the heavens, jumping from one cloud to another before disappearing in a rumble of thunder.

Rain was about to fall.

Alice could smell the drops of summer rain before it even hit the earth beneath her. Even deep in the heart of the city, it was the very same as in the wilderness beyond. Skyscrapers could not hide the scent of moist soil and dewy leaves, much less a forest.

When an exceptionally loud rumble of thunder took over the skies above her head, the drops of water began to descend. First, it landed on the crown of Alice's head in a light drizzle. It sprinkled over her like the first snow of winter, fresh and lightly powdered. Then, in a matter of moments, it hastened into a torrential shower. The rain poured down mercilessly, drenching Alice from head to toe. It forced her loose cotton shirt to stubbornly cling onto every crevice of her body, her shorts following suit.

Even the summer rain could prove itself freezing cold.

With hands wrapped around her body, Alice forced herself to run. Where to, in particular, she wasn't too sure herself. All she knew was that she was left stranded in the forest during an innocent camping trip gone wrong. The map provided to her had nearly led her off the edge of a cliff, sending the very same piece of paper down to the void below. Ever since then, Alice had been walking blind.

She should've known better. After all, she had tagged along on a camping trip with her ex-boyfriend and his new girlfriend. Since he had been a dear friend of hers, and he insisted so, she had agreed to his ridiculous camping request.

In the end, Alice was still a woman. She could still sense the poisonous envy that leaked off of his new partner. Yet, she forced herself to act clueless, going along with all his whims and insane requests.

Served her right. Now she was the one lost in the forest, wandering around in hopes of finding an empty cave she could use as a shelter until morning comes.

The mud beneath the soles of her sneakers squealed loudly, the sound uncomfortable and revolting to her ears. However, there was nothing she could do but soldier on. The rain wasn't about to stop for anyone soon and that was something Alice was infinitely clear of. Nature could be unforgiving at times.

She had wandered around the forest for nearly three hours — although it certainly felt like years — when she finally noticed a glimmer of hope. Another flash of lightning hit the skies, illuminating the scene before her. She had struck gold for a solid cottage stood hidden beneath the canopy of trees, sheltered by strong branches and thick, lusciously green leaves. The lights were put out and it didn't seem like anyone was home and yet it didn't look abandoned.

What was an old-fashioned cottage doing in the middle of her town's notoriously dangerous forest, Alice wasn't sure. However, that didn't stop her to quicken her speed, bitterly biting down on the painful welts of rain towards the cottage that would prove useful.

It was only when she neared the wooden door had she looked down to realize an old woman that laid on the soil. She was lying face-down, her belly deep in the mud and skin ghastly pale. The rain pelted down on her body yet she had no reaction. It was as if she was a dead body waiting to rot away with time.

Or at least, Alice would've thought so if she hadn't caught the subtle twitch of the old woman's fingers. She was definitely still alive, still breathing, if only barely.

Alice wasted no time and dropped down to the ground, heaving the old woman up as best as she could. The rain washed away any remnants of soil off of the elderly's face once she was lifted. In the darkness, Alice couldn't make out any features but she knew the woman couldn't possibly be of any harm.