Chapter Twenty

THE PLACE SPADE had selected for their dinner was a lively little tavern in a hidden corner of the capital's town area. It was tucked away in one of the backend alleys away from the main street. The cobblestone pavements that led the way were drenched with unknown liquid as they neared the tavern, most likely from spilled drinks or water from the canal that ran right next to the path. Only weeds grew along the pathway for it was a place where no flower dared to venture. Every few steps or so, Alice could hear the sound of beer bottles smashing or people engaging in screaming matches, all to end with rambunctious laughter that implied they made up after the brief scuffle.

It simply wasn't a place Alice had thought a dignified prince would enjoy visiting for dinner but that didn't mean that Alice abhorred the idea.

Since they were out on the streets, Spade had changed into a set of clothes that were more casual than his usual silk. They were out of the palace and there was no longer a need to keep up with appearances. Or at least, that was what Spade had said when Alice asked why there was a need for him to change what he wore. Now, he was dressed in a pair of black breeches paired with dark brown boots. He wore an off-white poet shirt, the v-neck collar loosely laced, revealing a little bit of skin, the hems tucked in neatly.

While the town square during the day was bustling with life and color, the streets after dark were no less vibrant. Street lamps were lit, illuminating the stretch of roads and the respective shops that sat out in the main road. The people that roamed the streets, however, were from an older age group than during the day. Instead of children and their parents, the prowlers of the night were all young to middle-aged people that were hoping for a good alcoholic beverage to fraternize with their pals. Men and women alike had mugs of ale in their hands, laughter in their throats and smiles on their rosy cheeks.

The bell attached to the main doors of the tavern rang when Spade pushed it open. Even before they had entered The Dirty Lily Tavern, Alice could already make out the insane laughter that chorused from indoors. She could even hear the smashing of glassware and the screams of a female lady, barking out profanities and demanding payment for the smashed dinnerware.

"It's a little loud but you'll find it pleasantly homey," Spade assured.

Alice nodded, eyes bright and eager. Spade might not know it but she was more so unused to the stuffy aristocratic style of living than a rowdy street that served drinks and partied all night long. The life she grew up with was, after all, not one of nobility in any way.

"I've been to louder," she off-handedly commented, thinking back to the parties she had attended with her ex-boyfriend what felt like ages ago. The mere chorus of rowdy men could never be louder than booming music that reverberated from multiple speakers.

Spade quirked an eyebrow at her words but chose not to insert a remark.

"Your Highness, I'll wait for you at the usual meeting point?" Behind them, Spade's personal attendant asked.

The prince had chosen to leave the palace covertly with only his personal attendant. No guards followed them beyond the palace gates. In fact, it was unlikely most of them even knew that the prince had snuck out. Either that or they were too used to his constant escape attempts and had chosen to turn a blind eye.

"Yes, that will be fine, Dorian. We'll probably be in there for at least three or so hours so get yourself something to eat before then." Tossing a bag of coins into Dorian's hands, Spade turned to Alice. "Come on, let's go in."

Upon entering, Alice was greeted by bright orange lights and throngs of people gathered over both the bar counter and the tables. A flight of staircases led up to the second floor at the back of the room, disappearing upstairs, most likely to bedrooms which guests could rent for the night. The tavern was packed to the brim, men and women alike with drinks in their hands and plates of piping hot food on their tables before them. A woman dressed in a low-collared white and red dress darted back and forth, weaving through the tables with trays in her hands. She handed out food like an expert, moving with no hesitance in her steps. Behind the bar counter, a man could be seen through a small opening manning the kitchen at the back. He expertly cooked up the various orders, sifting through the order slips with barely even a glance. Together, the pair seemed to be the only staff members working. They handled the customers swiftly and efficiently, not even missing a beat in their steps.