In My Head

In a cold sweat, I sit up in my bed at what seems to be — 3am, and wait for the ringing in my ear to stop.

"Get out of my head!" I whisper-scream to myself so no one hears.

I plug my ears for a few seconds to see if it works but of course.... It doesn't at all.

"It's just me, " He says in a low tone of voice.

"Leave me alone. " I command him

"Is this how you talk to your best friend?"

"Shut up!" I order him

I slide my feet from under the covers and walk to my bathroom, then I turn on the water and splash it on my face.

"I won't go away even if you do that!" He screams agitatedly in my ear.

I plug my ears, "Leave me alone!" I scream loudly at the mirror, "Go away!"

"Never!" He whispers one last thing, then:

"Ali, wake up!"

I'm shaken awake by my mother, Violet Reagan-Smith.

"You were screaming in your sleep again, " she says with a sweet tone.

I look at her through narrowed eyes and grab her hand that lays on my shoulder, and push it off.

"So what?" I try to get out of my bed but she's sitting on the covers.

"Also it's time to go to school, Ali, " She says as I slide out of the covers and walk to my bathroom.

"I know, " I say with an arrogant voice, then look at her with omniscient  eyes, "I always know, "

"Oh, whatever, " she rolls her eyes with a smile going from ear to ear.

I look at her, then at the mirror.

"Have you ever thought that someone could be watching us all the time," I pause then look at the mirror, " with the mirrors in our homes, "

My mother looks at me confused, "Ali, what in the green earth are you talking about?"

"What if the people in our mirrors aren't really us, " I pause for just a second, "what if it's our clone, a clone that won't leave us alone, a clone that follows you everywhere and inevitably knows your every move?"

I turn and look at her, then tilt my head slightly, as if to ask "Huh?"

"You know that's not the case, Alistair, " she says with a bewildered voice, "Stop playing around, you're  scaring me!"

I roll my eyes and shrug, "How is it that I'm not scared, but you are?" I say still tilting my head "Shouldn't I be scared, I'm the one who believes this."

She stands up, "I'll go make you something to eat, alright?" she says as she leaves.

I wave as she leaves, peaking my head out of the bathroom, then I put my head back in, "Stop following me!" I tell my reflection.

I breathe through my nose then out my mouth, then recite the words I tell myself everyday just for reassurance, "Alistair Reagan-Smith is a normal kid, "

Then I wait for it to be true.

Vote for me!!!!!!??👍