(1) you better watch out

Applebloom peered out the window as the blizzard raged outside. She watched as the harsh winds blew around the normally fruitful spaces of Sweet Apple Acres. The wind howled and moaned against the various buildings that made up the farm as a whole. It sounded to her like the melancholy singing of some long forgotten ghost, lost and alone on a freezing Equestrian night. The old wood that made up the Apple family's farm house groaned against the dual assaults of the cold and the wind. The creaking and the moaning would have put another filly on edge, but Applebloom knew better. These timbers had held for long before the day of her birth and somehow she knew they had no intention of giving up the ghost anytime soon.

Others might not have had the same faith that she had.

"Applebloom? Are you sure that the roof isn't going to come crashing down on us in the middle of the night?"
Applebloom sighed rested her head on the window's glass. "Just like I told you the last seven times, Button; it'll be fine."

Behind her, Button Mash pawed at the floor nervously. "...you promise?"

"Button, you are really making me regret asking Applebloom to invite you over tonight." Scootaloo rolled her eyes as she sipped from her mug of warm cider.

"Scootaloo!" Sweetie Belle's voice cracked slightly as she admonished her friend from across the couch. "What a thing to say!"

Diamond Tiara sipped her own cider as she looked up from the magazine she'd been reading. "That does beg the question; why is Button Mash here? I thought this was a girl's only sleepover."

Applebloom finally pulled herself away from the window and nimbly jumped onto her nearby chair. "I never specified one way or the other. How was I supposed to know that only Button's mama would give him permission to come over?" She spared the brown colt a pitying look. "I'm sorry none of the other boys could come. You must be bored to tears."

Button Mash chuckled. "It's fine. To tell you the truth, Mom only let me come because she says I need to socialize more."

"Well, you do spend all your free time at the arcade." Silver Spoon re-entered the room and reclaimed her place on the floor beside Diamond Tiara. "But let's be honest with ourselves here; we're not just here because 'Bloom asked us over. We're here so our parents could get rid of us for the night."

"Discarded on Hearth's Warming Eve." Sweetie Belle muttered.

"So the stallions and mares can hide from the blizzard in Town Hall and drink enough hard cider to forget they even have kids." Diamond Tiara pouted.

"Man, grown-up ponies suck." Scootaloo grumbled.

"I'll thank you to respect your elders when you're in this house, little missy."

The six young pony's heads turned and watched as Applejack entered the room. She quickly removed her heavy coat and tossed it by the blazing fire to dry. She doffed her hat and began brushing the excess snow from the worn leather. Her eyes remained focused on Scootaloo. "Now... you were saying about grown-up ponies?"

Scootaloo offered an embarrassed grin. "I didn't mean they all did."

"Applejack? That you?" Granny Smith poked her head out of the kitchen. "You make the delivery alright?"

"Yes ma'am." The farmer flipped her hat over and pulled out a crumpled receipt. "Fifteen barrels of hard cider delivered to Mayor Mare personally. She said just bring this to her office the day after tomorrow and we'll get paid in full." She looked back over at the young ponies. "Yer folks say 'Hi.'"

"No they didn't." Silver Spoon muttered under her breath.

Diamond Tiara nudged her best friend in the ribs and looked past Applejack. "Where's Big Macintosh? Did you lose him in the snow?"