(3) you better not pout

As Granny Smith crooned about how she was dreaming of a white Hearth's Warming, the others all did their best to reflect, rest, and recover. The living room's furniture had been pulled away from the center of the room and used to blockade the doors and windows. Spare linens and pillows had been used to build a huge pallet in the middle of everything and the four remaining little ponies were nestled in the warmth.

Applejack dozed on the couch away from the others, watching the stairs and afraid of the nightmares that would come if she fell into a deeper sleep.

Sweetie Belle poked her head from under the blankets and ensured the coast was clear. Once she was satisfied that Diamond Tiara and Applebloom were either asleep or otherwise occupied, she carefully scooted herself closer to the room's sole male occupant. "Button Mash? Are you awake?"

The colt rolled over so that he was facing her. He offered the weakest of smiles. "Wouldn't it be nice if I wasn't? If this was all just an awful dream?"

She returned the smile and made herself more comfortable in the blankets next to him. "That would be nice."

"It would be nice. But it's not true." Button sighed and nudged at his nearby cap. "Even if nothing else happens tonight, Silver Spoon's still gone, Applebloom's lost her brother and you..." He caught himself and looked away. "Sorry."

"It's alright." Truth be told, Sweetie Belle was still trying to process the idea that Scootaloo was gone. She imagined that it would take quite some time before she stopped expecting the orange filly to come bounding up the stairs of the treehouse with some news of another colt or filly who needed help figuring out their Cutie Mark. Even now she kept catching herself looking towards the stairway like Scootaloo would just come gliding down, giggling that it was all just a big joke.

"Hey Sweetie Belle?"

"Hmm?"

"Is it true? What Silver Spoon said?" When Sweetie Belle did not immediately reply, he made to turn away. "Sorry. I guess now's not really a good time..."

"It's true. I do like you."

Button Mash froze. "You do?"

"Yeah. I've had, like, the biggest crush on you since earlier this year."

Button smiled. "The milkshake?"

She returned the smile. "The milkshake."

"I was such a dork."

"You were so cute."

Button Mash reached out and took her hoof. "Not as cute as you are."

Sweetie Belle blushed as she returned the gesture, hooking their forelegs together. "I hate that you only found out about this tonight."

"Tell you what." Button scooted a little closer. "I'll be Drake the Daring and you can be the Princess Amaranth. And if I can protect you the whole night, then you owe me another milkshake this Friday."

"Interesting idea." Sweetie Belle mirrored his movements. "But I kinda wanna be the Scarlet Avenger. You let me be her, and I promise to protect you just like she protected Drake from the Nine Warlocks of War in Battle for the HurriCrystal."

"Have I mentioned that your gaming knowledge is just as striking as that blush on your cheeks?"

She blushed harder. "That was smooth for somepony who doesn't know the first thing about girls."

He looked into her eyes. "I'm a fast learner. That's how I was able to master Puzzler's Revenge in just three days."

Sweetie Belle broke eye contact and looked away, tormented by the swirling forces inside her. Her sadness, her terror, and her burgeoning attraction all hammered away at her young heart. "I'm... I'm so scared, Button."