(4) i'm telling you why {end}

Button Mash rose with a groan on unsteady hooves. He reached a hoof back and felt the goose egg already rising beneath his mane. He shook his head to clear his blurred vision and took in his surroundings. He was in a bedroom, plain and sparsely decorated. A spare Stetson on the bedpost gave the room’s owner away as Applejack.

Any further analysis was pushed away by a noisy groaning coming from above.

He looked up just in time to see the ceiling give way completely. He jumped back against the wall as debris and snow fell with a massive thud into the room. He coughed away the dust and shivered in the new cold that found its way into the house via the sizable hole in the roof.

“And Applebloom p-promised the c-ceiling wouldn’t collapse.” He muttered through chattering teeth.

The dust cleared completely… and revealed a nightmare.

The thud had not come from the debris and the ceiling had not given from the snow.

The beast that now stared at Button Mash was huge, easily eight feet tall with another foot or two added from the enormous curved horns that emerged from beneath the hood of the creature’s black cloak. The creature shifted its position on jet black hooves that contrasted with the midnight blue of the beast’s fur. A tangled white beard hung down from the chin, blowing softly in the wind. It stared at Button with eyes that burned like red-hot coals and grinned with a mouth full of dagger-like fangs.

Around the beast’s neck hung a great, golden bell that jingled softly with every move it made.

Button Mash’s mouth became dry as sand. “G…Grogar?”

The beast’s grin grew wider and it tilted its head in acknowledgement.

Button was no longer sure if his shaking was from the cold or from fear. “I… I was good this year, wasn’t I?”

Grogar seemed to pause a moment in consideration then nodded his head again.

“So… how about we trade that for a free pass tonight.”

Again Grogar seemed to consider… then shook his mighty head with a chuckle.

Button Mash’s upper lip trembled. “But that’s not fair.”

Grogar shrugged his huge shoulder and took a heavy step towards the cowering colt.

“Hey! Goat face!”

Both Grogar and Button Mash looked to the room’s doorway.

Sweetie Belle squared herself and glared, her minute horn lit with the same emerald light that had saved her from impalement. She was done being scared and was now furious that the same monster that had taken her best friend was now threatening the recipient of her first kiss. She reached out with her magic and seized the heaviest thing she could find. “GET YOUR BIG BLUE TAIL AWAY FROM MY COLTFRIEND!”

Applejack’s bed, bathed in Sweetie Belle’s magic, rose into the air and swung like a huge, oblong golf club. It struck Grogar full on and knocked the ram right through the wall and into the howling storm.

Button Mash stared in wonder.

Sweetie Belle raced to his side and looked him over. “Are you okay?” Seeing his amazed stare, she grinned. “Yeah, I had no idea I could lift something that big.”

“You called me your coltfriend.”

Sweetie Belle’s pride deflated like a balloon. “What?”

“I have a marefriend!” Button Mash whooped with joy before remembering where he was. “I also might freeze to death.”

Sweetie Belle shook her head and grabbed his foreleg in hers. “Save it for later, Drake. We’ve gotta get out of here.”