A Day Like Any Other

Like any other day, Adele woke to her alarm sounding off precisely at four-thirty am to start her day at the children's hospital. It wasn't her first day, but she had a schedule that allowed her to eat and then run by Starbucks for her morning coffee. This was how she ensured her day and everything else went as planned... smoothly as possible. However, Dele was a pediatric doctor at her local children's hospital in Columbia, South Carolina. She always loved kids and once hoped to become a teacher but found out she wasn't quite built for the classroom. Instead, her purpose was to help sick children besides teaching them, which she enjoyed.

Although most mornings were rough, like today, she had to force herself out of bed and to the shower to begin her long day. Twelve-hour shifts weren't for the weak. She hated them as most did; some would call them the worst part of their lives. Dele did most of the time, but her whole day would change after getting to work. Seeing her patients always lightened up her day. She thought them to be her children. Ones she hoped to have in the future. As of now, it was only a dream but a big one to wish for.

So, after doing her morning routines, Adele quickly dressed, ate, and then grabbed her lunch, ensuring she left the house exactly at five-thirty and leaving Adele an hour to get to work. As always, she locked her front door and went to her 2018 Nissan Altima. It wasn't a luxury car, but Adele liked a simple life. One that didn't draw attention to her and kept her family off her back. She loved them, but deep down inside, she knew they all hated her. It showed her whole life until she left and made a name for herself. Now, they thought the world of her long as she gave them what they wanted.

That was a story for another time; now, Adele focused on getting to work, but first, she needed her morning coffee. The good thing for her was that Starbucks was right around the corner from her job at Prisma Health Children's Hospital. It gave her the time she needed to get her drink while chatting with the woman behind the counter, who happened to be her best friend, Khalil.

"On time, as usual, Adele. Let me guess, you'll have what you always get, or can I get you something different today? You know it's okay to switch things up occasionally, best friend."

"I know you tell me this daily, Kha, but I must pass up on that today. I want to be focused, and my usual does that for me, but today make that a triple shot of espresso. I don't think I've recovered from my night swift two days ago." Dele said as Khalil made her usual white chocolate mocha with oak milk. What normally would have been a double shot was a triple today, and no whipped cream. She wasn't used to working the night shift but promised to switch shifts with another worker, which she would not be doing again.

"You need to stop being so damn boring, but it's your drink girl. One of these days, I'm going to get you to switch up. You need a little excitement in your life. Tell me, how have you doing lately? I haven't seen you in a while since I gave birth and all. Is anything new... like a man? Or are you still soloing it?"

Khalil always had a way of making Adele feel uneasy. Especially when she put her under a spotlight with questions like this, it didn't make it better with her being in the middle of a coffee shop with the girl talking loud as if they were miles away from each other. Everyone's eyes were one Dele waiting for her answer as if they knew her; one thing about Adele was she didn't like to be the center of attraction, and Khalil loved putting her there. In a way, she knew her friend was only trying to be friendly. Khalil was her only friend who understood what she went through as a child. So, she decided to answer her truthfully with a smile for everyone to see.

"Yeah, I'm sorry I haven't been a good friend. I was trying to make time to see you but being a doctor doesn't give you that much time to yourself, you know. How is my little god-baby? Cute, I bet, and to answer your question. No, I haven't started seeing anyone. My time is limited, and I don't have space for dating right now, Khalil. Hell, I hardly have time for myself."

It was the truth; clearly, Khalil didn't like it as she gave Adele a funny look, which she ignored. If she were in her shoes, she would understand her life. Dele didn't have the time to lay up, have babies, then look for a man to care for her. Khalil may have been her friend, but the girl relied on her drug-dealing boyfriend to support her, besides having her job at Starbucks to cover what she was doing. It was the life she chose for herself as Dele dreamed bigger. Adele didn't have the time to argue as she stood quiet for a few minutes before receiving her drink and saying her goodbyes to her friend while making her way out the door.

However, she didn't make it far before she slammed into something hard. Her first thoughts were that she forgot to open the door, but she quickly realized she had run into someone's chest, causing her morning coffee to meet the sidewalk below them. 'Damn, there goes my wake-up call. I swear nothing ever goes in my favor.' She said to her to herself. Everything always had a way of fucking up around her. Adele's whole life had been a fuck, and every time she thought things were good, it got fucked up.

Most of the time, Dele hated her life. Why would today be different?

It made her scared to look up, but somehow, she found the courage to lift her head to the tall man before her slightly. This was somewhat odd since she was 5'10"; therefore, the man in front of her had to be at least 6'2", maybe 6'3" at the most. It wasn't every day she ran into someone taller than her. He was muscular with dark brown eyes, which was gorgeous, causing her to take a step back to take the rest of him in. Adele had to admit he was fine as hell, and from what she could see, he was covered in tattoos. He was a walking, sexy canvas, and she wanted to unwrap him where he stood.

"The fuck! Watch where the hell you are walking, stupid little bitch!" Everything Adele was thinking went out the window once he opened his mouth. He was rude and acted like this was her fault... her fault alone when neither of them was watching where they were going. It angered her as he folded her arms across her chest, arching a brow, glaring him straight into his face.

"Excuse me?! I think you need to take a step back and think about what just fucking happened. You got this all fucking wrong and got me fucked up. We ran into each other, no, the other way around, Sir. Now, I don't have the fucking time to get another coffee without being late for work. Damn, look at my clothes, asshole!" She shook her head, stepping around him until he blocked her path. Adele was shocked by his behavior while he looked at her like she lost her damn mind. Slowly he lifted his hand to touch her chin, giving her a small chuckle before whispering in her ear.

"Listen carefully, little girl. I'm not the one you want to fuck with. Know, I can end you with a snap of a finger... I think it would be wise to leave before you miss work entirely." He spoke, kissing her ear as his fingers tips brushed down her jaw. "That is if you want to live... now be a good little girl and run off to work." He finished as Dele blinked a few times, trying to understand what he said. This man had threatened her life just for walking into him.

He was crazy; her best bet was to get as far as she could from him and fast. "Look, dude; clearly, you woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning or something. I don't want any trouble. You don't know me, and I sure the hell don't know you... let's keep it that way. I'm sorry if that's what you wanted to hear... can I go now? I'm behind schedule and want to work on time." She spoke, looking down at her feet as she played with her fingers. Suddenly the man touched her face again, forcing her to look into his eyes. Her guess was so she could get an understanding of his next words.

"Yes, but if I were you, Schön (beautiful), I would watch my back, Kleine (little girl); you never know when or where you may see me again." His smirk was wicked and eerie. It had Adele on edge and scared shitless while he held a straight face. In her mind, she thought he knew something she didn't or did she want to know. The best thing for her to do was leave, and she did, running straight to her car without looking back.

"You can run, Schön, but that doesn't mean I cannot find you."