No One Cares

No matter what Barbra did, she couldn't get her mind off losing Adele. Every time she lay down at night, the first thought across her mind was Adele and the way she died in that horrible house fire. On the other hand, Charles, and their other children, all but Jacob, couldn't be happier. They were enjoying spending the money they received from her death while Barb tried her hardest to help her baby boy and herself move on. She should have ran when she had the chance, but Barbra was too scared of her husband and what he could have done to Adele.

Sadly, he never wanted her, but Barbra couldn't see herself aborting something that was a part of her. Charles treated her wrong from day one, but it progressed as she got older. That's when he pushed her older brother to abuse her while threatening to kill his own child if she tried to help. "Barb, you have to eat. It's been over a year and walking around like a zombie isn't helping anything."

"I was thinking, Ma. Thinking about what I could have done better or differently. I allowed him to mistreat our daughter... allowed him to do—"

"Talking about it won't change a thing, girl. I told you not to marry that... that man. I knew something was off about him. He was married twice before you, and both his wives magically disappeared." Her mother fussed while Barbra looked down, nodding sadly. She was right; her parents warned her about Charles, and Barb didn't listen. Then, within six months of their marriage, her dad mysteriously died while her mom suffered a stroke.

"I know... I know. I allowed him to manipulate me—"

"You allowed him to plot your daughter's death! And for what, Barbra? Money? Money you should have had to last you a lifetime, plus your children and grandchildren. There was no way you should be fucking broke. I hate to say this, but you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth. You never hurt for anything in your life. What did he have before meeting you? Nothing! You paid his way through law school only to be trapped with four children that don't belong to you. Then to have the nerve to treat them better than your flesh and fucking blood. Child, I could slap you to hell and back. Tell me, how much money do you have left?"

Barbra couldn't answer her question simply because she didn't what Charles to think her mom had something to do with her hiding her money. Charles was money hungry which Barbra realized quickly and she refused to let him drain her dry; therefore, she acted fast and after Adele was born, she made her the sole beneficiary of all her money and if that fail, she had another plan. Sadly, she knew this was the reason he wanted her daughter dead. "I... I can't answer that. Look Ma, you should go; Charles will be home any moment—"

"It's a Sunday. Did he not sleep at home?" She questioned, making Barbra look down at her cup of coffee with a heavy sigh. "You're the dumbest little child and I know we didn't raise you to be like this. Can't you see he's still cheating, spending your money on other women... and it's probably with that little hoe Jacob was messing with—"

"MOM!"

"Fine, I'm leaving but know everything will be much better once you leave his sorry ass." She spoke, getting up to go, and as always, she kissed Barba goodbye, leaving her to her thoughts once more. Barb still had some time before Charles arrived; therefore, she decided to read the Sunday paper until her phone rang.

Not many people called her unless it was one of her patients or the hospital, which made Barb hesitate to look. Today wasn't a good day, nor did she want to go to work, but when she turned over the phone, she noticed it was an unknown number. "Scammers, I have no time for you today." She said to herself, letting the phone ring only for it to stop and start over again. It had to be something important... maybe it was Charles.

Maybe he was dead; that would brighten up her day while she let a smile creep upon her face as she answered the phone, hoping it was the police informing her of Charles's death. 'Hello?'