Nightmares

Adora's POV:

When the movie was over- much to my disappointment, we all said our good nights before heading back to our rooms. It was late- way past eleven due to the positioning of the moon through the windows of the corridors and I could tell everyone was tired. Me included though I stubbornly refused to admit because of my dislike of sleep.

During our walk back I could tell that Catra was well aware of my slow pace but chose to match my speed nonetheless. Surprisingly without a word of complaint which I was more than thankful for.

As we approached the door there was a tight knot in the bottom of my stomach, making me dread what hellish nightmare will come tonight.

Thirty minutes after entering the room I desperately tried to delay sleep to the point where Catra was growing concerned. As we were wrapped up warmly in the safety of our beds on each side of the wall (separated by a bedside table with a lamp on top, giving the room a golden glow), the atmosphere was nearly impossible to ignore considering how thick it was.

The silence was deafening, daring one of us to break the quietness that was eating us up alive. At long last, it was Catra who bravely decided to tear it.

"Hey Adora, you ok?"

I had three options:

1, I could lie and say that I was fine, even though I wasn't and was probably the worst liar on the planet.

2, I could say the truth and burst out crying like a crybaby. Showing weakness which I was strictly trained never to do.

3, Ignore her altogether and unintentionally hurt her.

Finally I settled on

"I'm fine...thanks"

She didn't look convinced. And I didn't manage to convince myself either.

"Do you not want to sleep?" She asked, unknowingly banging the hammer on the nale.

'Dang! Am I really that obvious?'

"Come on, we should really get some sleep." My tone was firm, informing her I was not having this conversation as I reached and turned the light out with a soft 'click'.

Pulling the cover over me protectively, as if it could shield me from Catra's piercing gaze when I faced the wall. My tired body slowly began to relax. It wasn't long before the dooming darkness swallowed me whole.

Catras POV:

I woke up to a dark room room filled with small, heart breaking sounds. I turned over to see Adora shaking underneath her duvay, hiccuping and buring her face in her pillow in a failing attempt to muffle her sobs. Though her voice was small, I was still able to hear her, thanks to my cat ears people used to make fun of.

"Please...please don't"

"S-stop."

I didn't need to hear anymore. Throwing the covers back harshly, I slowly, carefully and silently walked the small steps over to Adora's bed. I waited for a moment and considered what the best thing to do was before noticing her wrist from her slightly pulled up sleeves.

My night vision made me able to clearly see the defensive scars decorating her skin. Tenderly so I don't wake her up, I slowly rolled up the sleeve a little further only to see more marks of different kinds.

Burns, knives, even whipped mark's.

It made me sick.

"No, please" she begged, rolling over on her other side so she was facing me. Now I could see the waterfall of tears on her pale face and it hit me like a wave. She was stalling from her nightmares. No, not necessarily nightmares- but memories.

Oh God.

I lifted the cover and causously crawled into the bed until I was laying next to her. Then I wrapped my arms around Adora; cocooning her, engulfing her, shielding her. I whispered soothing things into her ear until she stopped shaking and became calmer. The only thing left were the tear stains on her cheeks, which disappeared as I wiped them away like they were never there.

Amazing she didn't stir throughout the process.

We stayed like that, however I couldn't fall back to sleep with so much on my mind. One thing was certain.

Adora needed help- professional help- like I had.

I sudden had a new mission for tommorow; helping my Adora.

I'm So, So sorry 😣. I promise I didn't mean to update so late, but there are things that don't get done by themselves unfortunately.

Hope you enjoyed and will be back with a new chapter soon.😄

Bye.