Learning more.

Sundas 7th, Frostfall, 4E 180

It's late at night in the Heartlily household. Nothing can be heard except for the faint sounds of spell casting. The only person awake at this time is Bellona who stands before the window in their room. With a spell tome in her left hand and her right-hand palm up in a casting position. She's been going at this for days. Her comprehension of spellcraft has grown considerably in a few short weeks. She's gotten a firm grasp on most novice spells but Destruction magic is the most difficult for her. The flames spell she's been attempting to conjure up is proving to be difficult.

"Come on Bellona I know you can do it." She whispers trying to encourage herself. Bellona attempts to summon the spell again only for sparks pop out. Her brow furrows and she tries again. She shifts the tome around looking briefly at it to see what she's doing wrong.

Her annoyance grows and frustration builds. Just as she's about to give up for the night her anger helps fuel her fire. The flames encircle her hand. Her eyes widen in surprise. "I did it!" She shrills out. Then flinches realizing everyone is asleep. The flames dissipate and Bellona hears Ivy moving around. "Please don't set the house on fire." Ivy grumbles.
Bellona turns around and sees her little sister glaring at her from underneath the quilt.

"Sorry Ivy." Bellona lays back onto her bed.
"It's fine just hope mother doesn't come in. It's almost morning I think," Ivy rolls her back to Bellona.

  Morning comes soon enough and Lionent can be heard downstairs getting ready to go to work. Bellona pokes her head up from the covers and hurriedly puts on a pair of flats and rushes downstairs. Just as her mother opens the door with her satchel underarm Bellona approaches her.
"May I come with you?" She asks.
The Bosmer looks down at her daughter. "I don't really need help today. I haven't had any orders lately."
"Oh, well can I just get out and see the town?" Bellona persists.
Her mother sighs. "Of course. Come on."

Now at Anvil Bellona watches her mother open the door of the shop and set out display potions. The girl then makes a beeline to Ellis's house. With luck, she may still be home. She's eager to inform Ellis of how well she's done. Her blood really does help her.
She knocks and can hear movement on the other side of the door. Ellis opens up and smiles gesturing for her to come in.

"How've you been?" The Dunmer asks.
"I've been doing well. Thanks for asking." Bellona sits down on a loveseat beside Ellis.
"That's good dear. How goes your lessons?"
Bellona perks up. "I've learned all the spells you've given me books on. Destruction magic was the toughest though. Want me to show you?" The excitement in her voice is prominent.
Ellis smiles Bellona reminds her a lot of her younger self. "Splendid news. I have full confidence you're doing well so no need to prove it to me." She pauses considering something.

"I believe you're ready to learn a new spell. One that hasn't been seen in centuries. Think of it as an early Saturnalia gift. You ready?" Ellis asks.
"Yes, I am." Bellona nods. She follows the elf down into the basement of the manor.

  They stop at an old target practice. "Listen carefully Bellona. I'm about to teach you a unique spell called Snowball."
Bellona smiles in amusement. "Snowball?" She questions.
"It may sound cute but this spell is quite lethal. Even for a Novice spell, it fires like an Expert one. It's rather easy to cast, however." Ellis explains with a seriousness that doesn't suit her.
"Why teach it to me if it's so dangerous?"

"The reason is this art is virtually forgotten except for in history books. I want to carry this tradition on to other people so they may keep this art going. Sooner or later I'm going to pass away Bellona. I'm teaching you now in case I won't be able to when you're older." She gives a thin smile waiting for the girl's response.
"I'll gladly learn from you. In time I'll carry the tradition on." Bellona affirms her trust in the elf.