A Wedding

"When we first met, you were this dorky little girl who would never talk to me."

Harry sniffled as he gripped hard onto the papers in his hand. 

"You were my best friend's sister, and for a whole of two years, that's all you were. I never thought you'd be the one person my entire world revolves around. When I saved you in the Chamber of Secrets, I knew. I knew you'd be something bigger in my life, that we were destined to be together in that single moment, and we'd be bonded forever. You taught me that I can be loved in the way I never thought I could be. And you've shown me that love can grow in the most unexpected places. I love you, Ginny Weasley. My whole life, I've yearned for a family. I wished on every single star, every birthday candle, every lucky penny. Today, I can finally say that my dreams came true. And so here, right now, I promise to spend my life making sure all your dreams come true."

Ginny's eyes glistened with tears, smiling from ear to ear, and Mrs. Weasley's cries filled the tent, echoing. 

"Now, now," Mr. Weasley whispers, holding his wife while fighting tears of his own. 

Harry grabbed Ginny's hand and slipped the beautiful diamond ring onto Ginny's perfectly manicured hand. "You May now kiss the bride." 

Applause filled the tent and everyone stood up to congratulate the newly weds. I got up and hugged Harry, then Ginny.

"What a waste of perfectly good makeup," Ginny said, wiping my tears.

"Oh, you stop it!" I exclaimed. "I am supposed to be the one helping you!" 

"Where's Ron?" Harry asked. I turned around to reach for him, but to my surprise, my fiancée was nowhere in sight. He looked at me with worrisome eyes. 

I smiled, hiding my worries. "I'm sure he's around here somewhere," I assured. "In fact, I think he took Molly to the bathroom. You're mum was bawling, you know." 

Ginny giggled. "I do. She's been doing it all week!" 

Harry pulled her into hug her. "I'm afraid she's highly dehydrated," she said, before turning her attention onto her new husband. 

I couldn't help but feel truly happy for the new couple, even through my own difficulties with Ron. 

Truth is, things have been rocky between Ron and I the past few years.

After the War, Ron followed me everywhere like a puppy, sleeping in libraries when I studied; he refused to leave my side; picking me up after every shift, courting me nonstop when I told him I wanted to pursue higher education before marriage.

When we finally got engaged three years ago, it seemed like a light was flipped. He no longer courted me nor paid attention. It was like he no longer wanted me. Everywhere we go, girls giggle and flirt, and he replies with the same behavior as if I'm not there in front of him witnessing all of it. He was the Ron he used to be. 

I caught him cheating once. Well, not really, but the lipstick on his collar and the seductive perfume that I don't wear nor take interest in was lingering on his clothes. Ron was never smart enough to think of those things. If he was going to cheat, at least be smart about it. 

Music filled the air as the couple had their first dance together married. I kept my eyes on the couple, scanning the tent every few seconds for Ron. 

Where could he be? 

I got up after the song finished to visit the restroom and wipe the tears from my eyes.

A weeping Mrs. Weasley caught me before I could slip away. "Oh, Hermione!" She gasped, pulling me in. "Isn't this just wonderful?"