Chapter 1: Two families

Haoting looked across the apartment block, twirling the wallet in his hand. "How can a clever kid like him always be forgetting things?", he mumbled and smiled to himself.

Further down the street, Shigu is in an embrace of a man Haoting never met before. He gripped the wallet and rushed to the scene.Is it that damn bar owner again? "Shigu...who..."

Shigu looked up and pulled Haoting nearer. Haoting placed a protective arm around Shigu while eyeing the man. The man smiled warmly. 

"Xiang Hao Ting, this is my uncle. Remember my aunt who raises me up? This is her husband. She's in this area to pick up something ".

 A woman walked toward the group. Her eyes darted questioningly at Haoting's hand on Shigu's waist. Both of them doesn't seem to be aware of it. 

"Auntie, this is Xiang Hao Ting. We just moved here."

"Hello Auntie. Hello Uncle. I'm Shigu's friend. He always talks about you. Thank you for raising him so well. Ahhh, are you free now? Shigu, lets have them over for lunch with my parents. We have more than enough food." 

"Auntie, Uncle, please come. We are making lunch now. Haoting's parents will be here soon too. I want to show you our new house" 

"Sure. It's an invitation from my dear nephew. I haven't see Shi Shi for a while now. He always so busy with his school and work. I don't even know what are you up to."

_________________________________________________

Haoting is preparing food in the kitchen. Auntie offered to help out with the final dish.

"Student Xiang. How long have you know Shi Shi?". Auntie broke the silence while Shigu is helping his uncle in the living room.

"Since high school. But we became close friend while preparing for university. I would never got admitted without his support."

"You know, ..Shi Shi is my nephew. But I had never seen him with a friend. You are the first one he introduced to us. " she paused. "I'm always afraid he pushes himself too hard, never know when to ask for help. Always reluctant to receive any help. I'm glad to see he is living well now. He gave me his mobile number too. My late sister must be proud of him. But...your relationship ...just housemate...or...?"

One photo caught her eyes when she walked into the kitchen, picture of Haoting and Shigu kissing was on the fridge door. When she looked again, she saw Haoting quietly slid the photo in his pocket, humming while taking out some additional groceries onto the kitchen counter. 

She noticed there was only one bedroom. On the wall is a Rosette Nebula poster, which looks like a red flower blooming in space. Haoting and Shigu's pictures on the cupboard with tiny trinkets. They're all smiles. It's good for his nephew. Her mind is stuck on that picture, so she worries for nothing. She realized that their body language was intimate; Shigu moved around Haoting with ease and Haoting adjusted his movements to match Shigu's pace. That's not what housemates do.

Haoting continued to wipe the plates, thinking how to reply properly to a woman who raises Shigu. He stopped humming. Lips pursed slightly. He saw no judgement in her eyes, just pure concern. He never care for other's judgement or objection, but he desperately wants her approval. 

"I am very very serious about Shigu. I love him. I love him more than I ever thought I could. I want to make him happy."

Holding back the tears, she smiled at the answer and nodded. 

"I'm glad. I really am."
___________________________________

The bell rang. Someone is at the door. The Xiang family is here.

__________________________________________