Chapter 2: The Christmas Deck again

In the vastness of space and the immensity of time, it is my joy to share a planet and an epoch with you.-quote, rephrased from Cosmos by Carl Sagan.

"Zhigang Ge, were you this nervous on your wedding day too?" Shigu asked while fixing his suit for the hundredth time. Last night he couldn't sleep. Meanwhile Haoting slept like a log and woke up extremely happy. 

He feels as if he's floating, he needs more reassurance.  

It's already 5PM, he will be leaving for the wedding venue  in half an hour. At first, Shigu wanted to have their wedding at a small hall near their house. But Haoting suggested the deck. Years ago, Haoting took him on a date on a Christmas night there. It's their little private retreat. They will have their small wedding on the deck. He hopes his parents would be able to see him smiling underneath the stars. 

"Of course I am. But then it vanished when I saw Sun Bo smiling at me, and my family is all there to celebrate. You were there too. Don't worry. All the Freedom Gang is coming home to support you both today. Come Xiao Gu, lets go. Haoting is already waiting in the car"

The door of the room suddenly opened. Xiang Yong Ching is smiling brightly with her head poking halfway in. "Sorry, my brother is paying me to check on his bride. He's afraid if you'll run away. And father-in-law is here too" 

Now the door fully opened. Behind Yong Ching, Shigu saw Mr Xiang standing at the door hesitantly.  Zhigang patted Shigu on his back and left with Yong Ching. He had this kind of talk with Sun Bo's father before the wedding too. 

"Uncle..."

Mr. Xiang took a seat on the couch. He cleared his throat a few times. The silence is almost unbearable. They never had a one-one-one conversation before. Usually Mrs. Xiang would always be there as a mediator. Or, Yong Ching would act as the cushion to soften any tension.

"Haoting is my only son. I might have spoiled him when he is growing up. At some point, we lost control over him. No one could tell him to do anything. Until you showed up. I know he is serious when he worked hard to enter the national university to be with you. I partially hoped he would changed his mind, and admitted that his infatuation with you is just a phase. I hoped that he... he would get married to a woman and give me a grandchild. Then, 8 years ago, during the first meeting with your aunt, Haoting told me he will marry you when he got a stable job after graduating. He said he wouldn't give up. It's already 9 years since you first came into our life. If it were just a phase, Haoting would already give up. But we are here now, and I accepted it. My son is lacking in many things. I hope you will continue to guide and support him. Our house is always opened for you two to visit." 

Mr Xiang reached for Shigu's hands. A red packet is folded into his hands. 

"Take it. It's a  little gift from us. Your in-laws. We wish you eternal happ..." His words trailed as he catches Haoting at the door. 

"Dad! Your wife is looking for you. The cars ready for us. Why are you bothering my wife here?"

"What wife? Your ceremony is still not completed!" .He swung a low kick at Haoting and left. 

Shigu smiled at the duo's non-stop bickering. He fixed his suit for the final time and head for the door. Haoting wrapped his arm around Shigu's waist, teasing a bite on Shigu's lips. 

"Lets go Yu Shi Gu. It's our wedding ceremony!"

___________________________________________