Prologue

Green eyes snapped open in alarm as his door was opened. His chocolate brown hair stuck up in every which way. Blood pulsing through his body while his heartbeat quickened. Today was the day. He had read their minds, and he was scared for what they had planned.
"Come on sweetie. It's time again." Meredith, spoke in a sad tone.
Meredith was Austin and Amara's caregiver. She had worked for the scientist who conducted the experiments on the children. Meredith didn't agree with his methods, but with a felony charge for second degree murder in self defense she couldn't be picky with jobs.
Austin slowly slid off his bed, peeking behind Meredith to see his sister, Amara yawned while clutching her nightshirt.
Amara's hair was in a low braid, her eyes were dark and droopy from lack of sleep. She threw a small smile at her brother, sharp canines greeting him. It eased his mind to know she was there with him.
Austin walked over and took Meredith's hand. The twins followed her down a long hallway where the lights flickered and tiles were cracked. He felt his sister grab his hand in reassurance.
"Okay kiddies, MerMer has to get back to work, so be good for daddy, okay?" Meredith said while opening the door.
"M-MerMer don't g-go I don't w-wanna do that again!" Amara stuttered out after taking her thumb out of her mouth.
Austin held his head up high and held Amara's hand a bit tighter. He knew why she was scared. She had every reason to be. Daddy had made her sleep, and put her in a tank with liquid.
Amara has woken up in a blue tank filled with a thick liquid. It entered her lungs, nose, eyes, ears,and mouth. It burned. She couldn't breathe. Her small arms flailing weakly while she tried to bang on the glass. Austin was forced to read her thoughts during that experiment. She sounded so pained, so scared. It terrified him to head his sweet sister think like that.

He vowed that day to never let anyone hurt her again. Not while he was still around.