Two

Tossing and turning, small and helpless. The twins knew nothing but the prick of a needle and being dumped into thick liquid. This was their father's way of showing love. Love to them, meant doing as you were asked or consequences were delivered.
Amara had told father that she didn't want to go back into the burning liquid. Father didn't like that father didn't like that one bit. In a blacked out rage, father had put the small four year old under. The liquid invaded her lungs very quickly, her tears mixed with the liquid.
Amara had woken up on her stomach, a throbbing pain in her spine. She pushed her little legs off the cot she was given in the healing room. A full length mirror hung across from her. Shakily walking towards the mirror, Amara glances at herself. A large fin stuck out from below the nape of her neck. She gasped in horror. He had surgically implanted a shark fin into her back.
Amara sat down on the floor. Hot tears cascading down her cheeks in both pain and sorrow. Father had never done something this drastic when she misbehaved. She must have upset father to a great extent. And boy was she sorry.
Muffled screaming was heard down the halls. Meredith felt a chill go down her spine in the bathroom. She wept silently. How could she let him do this to these kids? Lifting up her blouse, an ugly scar made its appearance. It was her cesarean scar. Tomorrow marks five years since she's had it.
"Amara, Austin, please forgive me.." Meredith begged while gripping the sides of the sinks.
Standing up tall, Meredith walked out of the bathroom. She had to figure a way out for her and the twins.
Meanwhile, in the bird room, the four year old had been put under just moments ago. Father was carefully removing Austin's eyes from his head. As Father dropped the left eye into the pan and attached the nerve ending together, he gently placed the yellow owl eye into Austin's eye socket. Austin's favorite color is yellow.