Chapter 4: Miasma Forest

A poisonous shuriken clipped my left arm as I dived to the ground, my sword tumbling out of my hands. I reached out and grabbed it, bringing it up just as one of the Toxified Greninjas leaped towards me. On instinct, I raised my sword higher to intercept the enemy, but the Pokemon twisted midair and prepared to strike me. A gust of wind knocked him away and I shouted, "Thanks, Yanmega!"

"Liam!" Xera called my name and I looked up to see her some ten feet in front of me, holding back two Toxicroaks. "Run for it! I'll hold these two back!"

I didn't waste time for a response, I just ran for it, past the Toxicroaks and Xera and out of the narrow area between the two Islands of Poison and into open grasslands. I looked back to see Xera running after me, Yanmega having blasted the Toxicroaks away. Once they caught up with me, we watched as the Toxicroaks and Greninjas began to give chase.

"Oh come on!" Xera shouted angrily as we began running again. "Can't they just stick to where they live!?"

"We have other issues," I warned, my feelings of hope diminishing rapidly. "There's more Liepards ahead!"

Xera's eyes lit up. "Perfect!"

She yelled and charged forwards, outpacing me. The Liepards stalking around in the grass ahead of us took notice and began racing towards her. Only when they noticed the other chasers behind us did they think better of running in our direction.

"Yanmega!" Xera shouted back. "Stop their escape!"

Yanmega flew ahead of all of us, leaving me running alone, both Xera and Yanmega having left me behind. I risked a glance and saw that several Toxicroaks were only around ten feet away. My legs hurt and lungs ached, yet I managed to push myself harder. An explosion of dirt and grass erupted ahead, causing some of the Liepards to trip over the ground or come to a stop.

I ran past them and nearly got killed. Xera was there to save me, stabbing one in the chest and pulling me towards her. She pushed me forwards and we continued running. The sounds of strangled cries and screeches could be heard behind us, but at least we were no longer being chased. 

Now no longer entirely focused on staying alive, I took in the view ahead. A forest of poison spread across the landscape, tall trees dripping venom and an eerier poisonous fog drifting between the shrubs. The Central Mountains were so much closer now, but this miasma forest stood in our path, spanning at least a couple kilometers on each side.

I stopped and placed my hands on my knees, my breathing ragged. "I-"

I began coughing, hoarse and rough. I fell on the ground, breathing hard. "I can't go on much longer."

Xera didn't say anything as she kept watch behind us, her breathing sounding more ragged than mine. We didn't say anything for a couple minutes, which hopefully meant we weren't being pursued. I remembered Luna mentioning this forest as a cluster of graves and that we should go around it.

Movement caught my eye. I saw a Pokemon staggering out of the treeline and collapsing onto the grass. It was Leavanny.

"Xera," I rasped, nearly falling over myself when trying to stand. I stumbled forwards, limping slightly. I didn't know if Xera was following me, but I saw Yanmega fly ahead of me towards Leavanny. Now that I was closer, I could see that she held Dewpider in her arms, both looking exhausted. I fell to my knees and rolled them over as Yanmega landed and kept his gaze on the forest.

"Poisoned," Xera said, her voice hoarse behind her mask. 

She was right. Both Pokemon had their eyes screwed shut tight, a sickly purple tinge coloring their bodies. Dewpider's bubble was a somewhat murky purple color now.