Chapter 10: Song at Starlight

The bonfire crackled and popped, embers floating towards the night sky filled with starry lights. Meat was cooking over smaller fires while the tribesfolk mingled and laughed. I sat just beyond the fire, drinking in the sight and the smells. 

I heard munching sounds to my left and I looked to see that Yanmega had gotten a fruit to munch on. He held it between his front two legs and ate ravenously. I smiled, rubbing his head. He looked up, chittering in content. 

"Leavaaany," Leavanny poked her head into my vision. She held up her sickles and presented to me a leather tunic. 

"You did it!" I exclaimed. I took it, marveling at her handiwork. "This is great!" I pulled it on. It was slightly rough, but it felt smoother than the skirt I was wearing. The sleeves were short, but the night air was pleasantly cool, so it didn't matter.

"Thank you, Leavanny," I hugged the Pokemon. 

"Leavaaan," she cried happily as she hugged me back.

"Outsider," a familiar voice said as someone sat to my right. I looked to see Xera lounging next to me, dressed in leather clothing like the other women of the Mountain Tribe. In the firelight, I couldn't make out all the injuries she had gotten, but I could see a healing cut on the back of her left hand.

"How's Luna?" I asked.

She shrugged. "Still asleep. Her wounds are better. That lady knows her stuff."

"But we need the Healer," I sighed. "I wonder where he is."

"Nothing we can do about it," Xera grabbed a fruit from a nearby basket. She bit into it, chewing. "Hm, a bit less flavor than the fruit in the Jungle."

I laughed nervously. "You ever hear of appreciating what you have?"

She gave me a dry look and tossed the fruit at my head. Rubbing my head, I went to pick it up, but she got it first and handed it to Dewpider. He bubbled happily and plopped the fruit into his bubble to eat.

"Where's Grovyle?" I asked, looking around.

"There," Xera nodded near one of the smaller fires where he was eating a piece of meat.

I watched as he tore a chunk off and chewed it slowly. Watching him eat reminded me of another member of our group that was missing. "Is Z still with Luna?" 

"Won't leave her side," Xera stood and frowned at her skirt. "I really don't like this."

"Leavanny could make you pants," I said, looking to the Bug type. "Actually, pants for me too would be nice." She gave a cry before biting into a fruit.

"Sure," Xera turned away and headed towards Grovyle where she grabbed herself some meat. I picked myself up, looking around and spotted Dev at a different fire with some other guys. He caught my eye and motioned for me to come over.

Once I got there, he handed me some meat on a stick and pounded me on the back, talking rapidly to his friends. I had not a clue what he or the others were saying, but I just nodded and smiled, eating the food in-between smiles.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and looked to see Ahoirr. "Come, Liam. I'd like for you to join us." 

I nodded and turned to say farewell to Dev before following the Tribe's leader. He sat next to his wife on a decorated blanket, colors of brown, red, and gold sewn into it. Xera was already there, sitting cross-legged across from Ruvain. 

"As I had said before," Ruvain started as I sat next to Xera. "We'd like to know more about how you came to this place. We'd especially like to know why one of the Jungle Tribe has left her territory, a taboo punishable by death."