CHAPTER 37

I sip warm tea as I occupy the place in the cafeteria. The absence of the people wakes my thoughts. I get lost in them, the tea acting as a precursor to enlighten my tiresome body. Hannah jumps onto the seat before me almost startling me. 

"Hi, Judi! How was the presentation?" Excitement bubbled within her. 

"Yeah it went good," I answer tiredly. 

She shows me the picture of her model through her phone as Ethan joins us. 

His eye signals Hannah which she understands and slowly drifts her eyes towards me. 

"Judi......I wanted to tell you something for a very long time."She says slowly as though allowing me to catch her words. 

"Hmm.....go on." I encourage, munching my cake. 

"You first drink up your tea."

"....Why?" I swallowed so quickly because her expression was freaking me out. 

"Because your gonna throw that cup on my face."Ethan giggles.

"Huh?....... You know I wouldn't do that." This suspense is killing me. 

They both look at each other for a split second before Hannah squeaks,

"Ethan and I are together!"

I scream, grabbing the entire cafeteria's attention. The first time I screamed for something other than cockroaches. 

"Mmm...When?...How? you could have told me!" I shutter, the words chocked with shock. 

"Ethan confessed his feelings on my birthday but I took some time to reply. I wanted to talk to you about this but you seemed too busy with projects and I didn't want to talk to you through the phone about this."

The past months played like a movie in my mind, the events flashed across my eyes. 

"I wanted to share this with Luke too." She whispers.

Luke? The whole thing he did was to impress Hannah if he comes to know about this...Judi is positive, The LORD will take care. 

"Are you alright with our decision? You don't seem well." Ethan inquires. 

I feel my stomach churn abnormally, I excuse myself awkwardly running towards the washroom.

I empty my stomach into the sink, a sour taste paints my mouth. I stare at my reflection, Luke's face flashing my mind. 

His life just grew better, why does he have to go through the same thing all over again. LORD, give me the strength to convince him, calm him and not lose hope in you. Give him peace LORD, to accept this situation. 

I rinse my face, washing all guilt emerging from my heart. I wipe my face as my phone buzzes in my pocket. 

                                                                   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The anxious crowd gathers in our auditorium. Some masked confidence, excitement, and others chewed their nails like me. 

Luke sat beside me seeming surprisingly in opposite mood than the others. He looked peaceful. 

Someone switches the microphone, the mic yawns angrily making the crowd cringe in pain. 

Mr. Nicolas, the Principal welcomes us with a cheerful smile. After a long pep talk, he instructs that the results be announced. 

My fingers involuntarily reach my lips, my heart pumps faster in my rib cage. Luke pulls my fingers before I could chew them and wounds his fingers around mine. 

"Breathe with me." He instructs.

I inhale and exhale my chest rising and falling, relaxing my restless body.

In the background the announcer announces the third place to someone I don't recognize but Luke seems to so he claps for them excitedly. After the announcement of third-place I lost hope, I knew our exhibit was not impressive as the others. 

Just then Luke yells out of his seat, he scoops my arm and drags me to the stage, then I hear the announcer repeating the second-place winners," Luke Marshall and Judith Williams please come up on stage."

Mr. Goodwill congratulates us as Ms. Stronghold offers us our trophies and certificates. We pose for the photograph as the crowd cheers for us. As the curiosity of winners of the competition bubbles inside me, The principal announcers the most favorite names I would ever expect, "Ethan Rogers and Hannah Wilson."

My heart leaps in immense happiness, loud applause scoring from the audience. The golden shower pops up in the air capturing my eyes. They receive their prizes as Luke cheers in a husky voice. My palm hardens with applause which I  involuntarily clap them hardly.

They walk down the decorated stairs as I run towards her embracing her cheerfully. Ethan side hugs me as he yells congrats. 

"Congratulation to you too." I squeak

Luke comes behind me giving a bro-hug to Ethan and a friendly hug to Hannah.

Mr. Goodwill emerges from the crowd congratulates us again. His eyes land on Luke as he pats his shoulder, "I loved your presentation and their topic. You did so well...see you in Malfred."

"Thank you, sir." Luke's cheeks heat up.

"Congrats Luke." Ethan tweets.

"Thanks, man, you wished me already." 

"Do you know he is a professor in Malfred?" 

"Oh."

"If he likes you, your already in."

Luke grins widely. 

I visit my parents outside. My mom hugs me, she places a warm kiss on my cheeks, "I'm so proud of you." Tears line her eye.

Dad lifts me off the ground swirling me around. 

"So who is your partner, Honey?" Mom asks examining my certificate.

I turn around to find only Ethan and Hannah and their family. Hannah's parents occupy my parents as I dial Luke's number. He doesn't pick up. 

"Hannah and Ethan are together."Mrs. Wilson announces. 

"Oh gosh."

                                                                   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"WHEN THE TIME IS RIGHT, I THE LORD, WILL MAKE IT HAPPEN." Isaiah 60:22

                                                                   AUTHOR's NOTE;

I had a lot of fun writing this chapter, hope you enjoyed it too.

{JF Abraham}