Chapter 3 - Escape

DISCLAIMER: I do not own any of the Twilight Characters. I am just a random fan who wants to create a new twist in their love story.

__________________________________________________________________

I went straight home and grabbed my Volvo. It was a good thing that my car had a full tank because the lesser stops, the better. I could always run all the way but having the car kept me distracted from my own monstrous nature.

I was already unconsciously driving towards the direction of the Denali's in Alaska. They were considered extended family having developed a conscience and living the same way we do, drinking animals blood instead of humans.

I cringed at the thought of blood. Her smell still lingered on my mind and it was enough for the monster to surface.

I was disgusted with myself. I knew I haven't always been the model for control having broken from the lifestyle and tasting human blood but after that, I was able to get back on track for my family. Now after almost a century, all my control, self-denial, my reserve, it all crumbled because of that human!

But Alas! That sweet smell... It was just so delicious and the burn in my throat intensified, wanting to be relieved. I could already imagine the satisfaction the moment her warm blood would enter into my system.

I automatically hit on the brakes and the car screeched to a stop.

I needed to hunt. If I could fill my body with animal blood, maybe it can drown the craving for that woman.

Who was I kidding? No amount of animal blood could ever make me forget that smell.

It felt like time stood still. It's been forty eight hours since I had stopped to quench my thirst with whatever game I could find in the Olympic Peninsula before heading straight to Alaska. After overfeeding myself, it still felt lacking. Now that I know something sweeter is out there? Would I ever be satisfied with anything less?

I closed my eyes to erase the image of the unconscious woman in my head and the sweet smell that accompanied it.

I tried staying with the Denali's. Tanya, Irina, Kate, Carmen and Eleazar. They were welcoming but their questions were starting to bother me. I knew that I owe them an explanation for the unannounced visit, but I did not have it in me to tell them why. They stopped the questioning eventually, but I could still hear their minds. So, I decided to tell them that I was just passing by.

Tanya wanted me to stay. Ever since our families met, she had made me her personal mission being the only single vampire in our family. I did not look at her in that way and she knew that, but she still tries now and then. I never wanted to lead her on so that was another reason I left hurriedly.

I didn't want to go back yet so halfway towards town where I had left my car in a hotel, I stopped dead in my tracks and there I stood staring at the night sky. I didn't really realize that I was already buried waist deep in the snow. It didn't matter. I just stood there like a statue, buried and forgotten by time.

I opened my eyes and saw her face.

Why me? I should have been stronger. I wanted to be stronger. Surely this was just some little trick that the universe conspired just for the sake of it. Am I being tested? And if so, for what? Have I already been damned enough as it is?

I contemplated on leaving and never going back but just the thought of it made me want to cry out in despair. Somewhere deep down inside me knew that if I leave, some part of me will never be whole and this was a feeling that I have never felt the first time that I left Carlisle to be on my own. This was different. My heart ached, just for the thought of leaving but why? Surely not because of the girl.

I thought of my family. We have been through so much all these years. I thought about my brothers and sisters. Our personalities were so different that it was impossible for us not to get in each others nerves but we loved each other all the same. I thought about Carlisle and Esme, I could never have asked for better parents. They showed us such love that I couldn't dare disappoint them... again. I thought about the girl, how her sudden presence in our lives nearly caused me my family but could not give in. I did not want to give the monster the satisfaction that he so wanted.

I was going to go back and when I return, I would be in control and I would be strong enough for my family and for myself.

Yes. I could see myself returning now. It felt so easy.

And just like that, my body reanimated.

On cue, my phone rang from my pocket. I looked at the caller id and saw Carlisle's name. I knew Alice had seen my decision.

"Carlisle?"

"Edward." I can hear the relief from his tone.

"Will you be able to return soon?"

"Did something come up?"

"Alice says you're returning and she saw the girl waking up in soon. I was hoping you would be here to assess the situation."

I didn't understand why they were still with the girl. I was assumed that they would be bringing her to the hospital by now. "Where is she?"

A slight pause. "Still unconscious in one of our spare rooms. I can explain when you return. I'm not trying to test your control son, but we could really use your skills"

I didn't know why but I felt there was a good reason why she was in our house. We all knew the implications if we were exposed to the humankind as vampires. Having the girl in the house complicated our existence and Carlisle knew that.

It wasn't about the girl herself that was dangerous to us. It was never the threat of humans that we were worried, but the threat of our kind, the Volturi. Composed of Aro, Cauis, and Marcus surrounded by their Volturi guards. They have policed our world for thousands of years to make sure that we do not commit the ultimate crime, exposure to the human world. Punishment for such crime was the ceasing of our existence in the hands of the Volturi, themselves.

Suddenly I felt agitated and somehow afraid. Not just because her presence might be dangerous to our family, but I also didn't know if I could keep the monster from resurfacing.

Nevertheless, I needed to go back. My ability to read minds was essential, what with our family's constant contact with the human world. We needed to know whose thoughts were spot on to what we really are so we can decide if we needed to disappear or not.

"Edward?" Carlisle was waiting for my answer.

"I'll be there"

"Then we will be waiting for you"

The call ended, and I rushed to get home, but I wanted to be prepared. I knew it wouldn't make much of a difference if I make one last hunt but I still had to try.

When I got out of the car, all my senses were on high alert. I couldn't understand the feeling of anticipation growing in my body. I wanted to see her again. I felt drawn to her just like a magnet. It's not just the blood but the mystery behind her.

Now that I thought about it, there was still the question of how she survived that blast or that fall. We all saw her and there was no mistake. We were already expecting to arrive at the scene with the body charred or crushed from the impact but there she was, unconscious with barely any scratch and smelling so delicious. I didn't know what to make of it. I should call her lucky for surviving everything but then again, she could also be the unluckiest person in the world having to go through disaster after disaster. Getting blown up, being engulfed in flames while falling thousands of feet then crash landing in a place infested with vampires with one particularly desiring her blood.

It looks like I wasn't the only one being taunted by the Universe.

When I opened the door, I wasn't expecting anything less. The house was filled with her scent that the only thing that kept me from barging into the room upstairs and drinking her blood was that tiny ounce of self-control that I was painstakingly maintaining.

"Good you're here." Alice and the others we're all standing together near the staircase waiting for me to join them

"It's time"