Chapter 12: Port Angeles

DISCLAIMER: I do not own Twilight or any of its characters.

_________________________________________________________

"Are you comfortable enough?"

I laid down her small bag in the hotel bed when we arrived.

We were in a hotel in Port Angeles and the room that we chose only had one bed. Since I didn't sleep, there wouldn't be a need for one.

"Yep, I'm good" Bella started to go over her things in the bag.

"I need a few human minutes" Bella said as she headed straight for the bathroom.

I peeked at the blinds and could see people going about their business late in the day. It was a good thing that they had an indoor parking that didn't require me to go outside and expose myself.

When she left the bathroom, Bella sat on the bed and patted the space beside her where I dutifully sat down.

She raised her arms slowly to touch my face and that was my cue to sit still as a statue. I didn't want to make the same mistake as what happened in the meadow, so I made sure I was in control of myself this time.

Her hands caressed my cheeks and she was deep thought.

"Edward, you're hurting... you need to hunt" She never fails to notice this little things about me. My eagerness to be by her side all the time had made me forget about my own needs.

"I don't want to leave you" The reason why we had to stay at Port Angeles was because Jasper's old acquaintances were visiting, and they were not like us. I didn't want to take any chances with Bella around the house or even in the cottage.

"I'll be safe here... please... for me" Knowing Bella, it would be the pain that I'm feeling that she's worried about rather than the idea of me slipping up and accidentally killing her. I sighed and gave in.

"All right. I'll try to be as quick as I can." I assured her.

"No. Take your time. I think you need to get as much game as you can. Grab some mountain lion or two for me" I had to laugh. Leave it to Bella to comment on my diet like I was just trying to grab some hamburger and fries.

"If it eases your mind, I'll sleep here the whole day, so you won't have to worry"

"It will. I'll be back before you know it." I took one last excruciating breath and leaned closer. Bella was the one who was still this time, waiting for me to make my move.

I cupped her cheeks with my palm and planted a chaste kiss on her sweet lips but it didn't seem to be enough for Bella as she started to move closer towards me and before the monster can dangerously surface, I broke away panting.

Bella's heart was beating like a drum and I knew that if mine was beating, it would have the same rhythm. I couldn't help a chuckle.

"You are the death of me Bella" I sighed.

"Come back to me"

"Always"

Before I could change my mind and not leave Bella on her own, I left in a blink of an eye.

It was only after I've had my fill that I realized how thirsty I was. I hurriedly drove back to the hotel knowing that Bella was waiting for me and it was then that I've noticed darkness starting to creep in the sky. I never realized I was away that long. I should remember avoiding being too hungry if I wanted to be with Bella all the time.

I arrived at an empty room with a note from my beloved.

Gone for a walk. Will be back before sundown.

-Bella

Panic started to build inside me. It was already sundown and she haven't returned.

I took a deep breath, trying to calm down the anxiety that was building up. I looked around the empty room, trying to make sense of why she left then the thought that she needed to get herself some food came to mind. I chastised myself for not making sure that, that was taken cared of before he left.

I was pacing in the room. Thirty minutes had past, and she still wasn't back.

That's it. I couldn't stand to wait any second longer. I grabbed my car keys and went to get my car as frustratingly fast as the human eyes can see.

I set out of the hotel and started driving around anxiously around Port Angeles. It was still a few minutes before the sun was finally gone but before then, I was trapped in my car.

I caught her scent just outside the restaurant that we used to have dinner with and followed it until I reached a bookstore. I was about to go out of the car when I noticed her scent was stronger outside and realized she never went in. I drove around some more scanning the thoughts of everyone within my abilities.

Uuggh! What I would give to hear her mind right now!

And suddenly there she was. I let out a growl as I realized who's mind I was reading. I've tasted his kind, the kind who was human outside but a monster inside, who preys on the innocent.

"No!" I was seeing red as I hit the gas pedal and drove towards where he was. It was like watching a horror movie. I was looking into the eyes of this predator as he approached Bella. My Bella. He was with two other men who were clearly enjoying their dominance against a helpless woman.

They were surrounding her, my Bella who was just standing there without any signs of distress or fear.

What are you doing?! Get out of there! Scream for help!

If only my words could reach her now. Almost there...

The thoughts of the predator suddenly filled me with utmost horror and rage as I saw in his mind the many ways that he wanted to get her.

Just as I turned into the lone alley that they were in, it was like watching two movies. One was from inside the predator's mind and the other one was the scene unfolding just in front of me.

He was annoyed that Bella was not cowling in fear. He wanted her to beg

He pulled out a knife from his back pocket and lunged at Bella but the only thing that the knife sliced was air. She disappeared in front of their eyes.

Only I was able to see, with my vampire keen eyes, how when the man made a lunge with his knife, did Bella side step and gracefully turned towards his blind spot and jumped back into the shadows.

The look on the men's faces mirrored mine. Confusion. They were frantically looking around.

They couldn't see her but I can. I saw her waiting patiently, with eyes focused on the men that wanted to assault her, before making her next move.

"What the h—" He was cut off when he was grabbed by the collar and thrown at the side of the alley rendering him unconscious.

The other man whirled towards the noise and when he saw his comrade down, he tried to run towards him but suddenly fell on the ground. Before he knew what was happening, Bella was on top of him and with one swift motion, brought her fist down to his face, knocking him unconscious with that one punch.

The last man standing with the knife was furious. He was out for blood after seeing the others unconscious. He threw the knife and I saw in his mind that he was about to pull out a gun.

I was finally able to move past the shock of what just happened and made my move. I've had enough of his mind that was out to kill the love of my life. If this didn't end now, I might be the one to kill the man myself.

I revved the engine to get his attention and drove straight towards them stopping right between him and Bella.

"Get in!" I said with clenched teeth. I caught her stunned look and when she recognized me, Bella didn't think twice and got into the car. I immediately slammed the gas pedal and sped off.

"What just happened?" Bella was looking at me with confusion in her eyes.