2: Sizarbob

Hobgoblins were already two-thirds of their way up the hill where Yuusha was hiding.

If Yuusha could crush the useless crystal by clenching it in his fist, he would have already. In anger and frustration, he didn't even notice that the sharp-edged of the crystal had already pierced his skin.

Great! I have no chance against them! None! Yuusha cursed and put orange crystal back into his jacket pocket. Hell, I probably don't stand a chance even against one of those small goblins.

Panicking Yuusha looked around. Loot the bodies for some equipment to raise my stats? As if! If there was anything better than what the goblins were wearing they would've taken it already.

Yuusha looked at the broken wooden shield lying next to one of the bodies and commanded in his mind, "That shield's stats!"

[Name: Broken wooden shield
Shield
Requires: Level 1
Physical resistance: +1]

Yeah, sounds about right, Yuusha thought and sighed. He crawled further back and found himself on the edge of the hill he stood upon just a couple of minutes ago. He looked around at the hill itself. On all three sides, the hill ended with a sharp rocky edge. The only gentle slope was the one facing the goblin army. What kind of a hill is this? Yuusha complained.

Looking down from the edge, opposite of the goblin forces he confirmed that the rocky edge was steep, almost vertical with about six or ten meters of climbing before it leveled out. Well, it's not impossible to get down, Yuusha thought. Beats facing off against the goblins-

Looking down Yuusha saw half a dozen goblins running up to the bottom of the edge he planned to climb down on. The little critters... Erm... Plan B!

Yuusha rolled over to one of the headless corpses and touched the puddle of blood beneath the neck. Phew, still fresh, he thought and hastily smeared himself with it – hands and chest. He couldn't bare smearing someone's blood on his face. Then Yuusha tore his jacket and trousers and laid face down, with his head as close as possible to the neck of the corpse and with one hand put the broken shield over his head, pretending to be dead.

The Hobgoblins were on the hilltop moments later. Yuusha not only heard but could also feel each of their heavy steps, churning the soil beneath their boots.

One of the hobgoblins slowly walked up to Yuusha.

"Sneiv ot met mitoid at iconen miš ulvag," he said in a voice that sounded like a mix of pig squealing and gravel crushing.

"Dat tricon! Se ušēlkem ukūlīz," the other replied.

Yuusha knew the sound that made his heart stop beating – metal sliding against another metal. The hobgoblin drew one of his swords.

The heads, you idiot! They collect the heads! Yuusha didn't wait a moment longer after his realization – he rolled away from the hobgoblin and jumped to his feet and looked around. One of the hobgoblins was to the left of him, probably dumbstruck by Yuusha's appearance as the hobgoblin froze in place and just stared at him. The other, with a thick, curved blade in his hand, stood four meters away from Yuusha and also, just stared.

Then both hobgoblins dropped to their knees and prostrated themselves before him.

"..."

The fuck? Now Yuusha was dumbstruck and stared at them.

"Ra ok sem mase išujīn usjū intublāk?" one of the Hobgoblins murmured. Even though Yuusha could not understand a single word, he still noticed a change in the monster's tone. He was afraid.