12: The raid on Foric pt.4

What am I missing? Yuusha wondered while Sizarbob did his little speech about monstrous humans and pollution of nature. If the goblins are that concerned about waste and garbage, then what do they do themselves? Do they have active garbage collectors, landfills and sewage systems? Don't make me laugh!

And sure - they don't seem to be all that dirty, considering the circumstances. But they always smell so bad! Is that just their natural odor? But it doesn't seem bad to them at all? Like, I'd get if they were just used to being dirty all the time. That would kind fit in with the standard RPG goblin archetype. Are they really some sort of nature lovers? On top of all the other things? Really? If it wasn't for their shaman-kept, ancient head-collecting traditions...

Yuusha took a few steps back as Sizarbob, Sorzak and all their goblins charged at the bridge. Well, your move, wizard girl.

Finally, the young girl did something. She raised her staff and shouted aloud in a voice that could only belong to a cute teenage girl, "Еняов немеле етидир ем!"

Same language as the farmers, after all, Yuusha noted, though he wasn't prepared for what happened next.

First, the current of the river, that separated goblins from the girl and the second part of the town, slowed. Then the water surface rippled. Three ripples formed, with a small water bubble at the center of each of those. The bubbles grew rapidly, expanding in size and rising like half-translucent, water trees out of the river. But those were no trees. They had a humanoid shape, with a rather big belly. It hurt to look at them as they kept changing different shades of blue and reflecting sunlight. Three water giants.

Two of the giants rose to be at least eight meters high. The other third one was hardly higher than three meters as it was twice the girl's height and took position close to the wizard. Of the other two - one stepped out on the goblin side of the river and stood at the start of the bridge, the other – slowly walked in the direction of the biggest threats, the two hobgoblins.

Yuusha was at first surprised that the river was not emptied after producing such behemoths. Ah, that's why she slowed the current - to feed the elementals without losing her defensive position.

"Water sorcerer!" Sizarbob shouted to the other goblins. "Stay out of river!"

Without hesitation, Sizarbob and Sorzak attacked the water giant that moved at them, but their slashes simply cut through the water elemental's leg doing seemingly nothing. The water that was separated away from the rest of the body by the iron blades flew just a couple of meters sideways before smoothly returning back to the elemental's form.

In response, the elemental formed a club in its hand that was twice the size of either hobgoblin and swung it against Sizarbob. Sizarbob dodged the attack sideways. The water club hit the earth, but just as the water club began to burst it retained its form. Sizarbob and Sorzak swung their blades and cut into the middle of a club, separating the upper part of the club from the rest of the elemental's form.

The separated water lost its form and flew into the air, defying gravity, separating further, taking shape of about two dozen birds. Yuusha would have no idea what kind of birds they could have been even if they were real birds instead of rough watery silhouettes, but, at the very least, he could tell that they were slightly smaller than the doves, that used to bombard his school's bus stop.

It was also at that moment that Yuusha saw black clouds gathering in the distance, moving fast toward the town. That's not good in a fight against a water mage, he concluded the obvious as the wind picked up.

The small goblins meanwhile tried to attack the second water giant by the bridge, but it simply swiped the goblins away like flies, with each swing of its own water club. The goblins didn't appear to be harmed by the attacks all that much. All it seemed to do was knock the goblins back and disarm some of them, with the added effect of making them wet. But the dexterous goblins were quick to pick up their weapons and try again, albeit with similar results.