Be Your Own Hero

It was a dark Parisian night. Marinette was walking home from Alya's house after a long night of studying. She walked under the poorly lit streetlights. Some flickering and some barely lit. She really needed to talk some sense into the Mayor about fixing these streets. Marinette was a few blocks away from her house when she felt a presence behind her. She felt it growing as she slowly picked up the pace. She turned into the open park gates in order to cut her trip short. A shadow lurked in the corner of her eye. She turned towards it and stopped. Blocking her path was your average street thug, after some quick cash. Marinette didn't have anything on her other than her school bag. She didn't show any signs of worry or panic. She waited for him to speak up first.
"What's a pretty thing like you doing out so late? And all alone?" The man spoke with a smirk taking a step towards her. Marinette held her ground. As long as he didn't have a weapon she was sure she could take him. She had taken our alumnas stronger than him. Maybe it was with the help of the miraculous but Marinette would like to think that she contributed something.
"I was out with a friend"
"Oh really?" He took another step. Marinette could feel her fists clenching besides her.
"Yes." She said matter of factly, not giving any detail that wasn't necessary.
"How about I walk you home? These streets can be dangerous" another step, he was just a few feet from face. As he came closer Marinette could see that he wasn't much taller than her. Definitely shorter than Chat Noir, and definitely not as built. This was a good thing because if she could take Chat Noir down during sparing then this would be a piece of cake.
~
( ~ means change in POV)
Chat Noir was running along the Parisian skyline. He had gotten into an argument with his father, again, and needed a breather. And what better way to clear his mind then to experience Paris at night. He made his way to a neighborhood he visited often, Marinette's. He found comfort in her words after a disagreement with his father. Adrien was over looking the park near the bakery when he noticed two shadows under a flickering street lamp. He could make out a guy and a girl. They didn't seem close. The girl seemed tense. She was standing in an attack stance almost as if she was waiting for the man, which he assumed to be a street thug, attack her first. He couldn't make out either of their faces. He quietly jumped down from his place on the rooftop to behind a giant tree near the people. Chat stayed hidden behind the tree before taking a look at the people. His heart race picked up when finally distinguished who the girl was. It was Marinette, of course. She was the only person he knew, well besides ladybug, that would put herself directly into the line of danger. He tried to make out if the guy had a weapon. If he did, it would be better for Chat not to startle them. He could get frightened and end up hurting Marinette. Instead he decided to get closer. The two were near the exit gate so if Adrien could just make it near the last tree then he could grab Marinette and run before anything happened to her.
~
Marinette's view kept subtly traveling back and forth between the man and the exit gate. It was just a few yards away. If he got close enough for contact Marinette could temporarily stun him and make a run for it.
"No thank you."
Marinette tried to walk past him as a last attempt before resorting to anything violent. She was just a few steps past him when she felt a meaty hand clamp around her wrist.
"I said! Do you want me to walk you home!"
"No. Thank. You."
"I wasn't asking"
His grip tightened around her arm. Marinette's jaw clenched, now she was mad. She glared right into his eyes. Luckily for her, he was holding her left hand. Unlucky for him, he was holding her left hand. Marinette pulled her right fist back before sending flying right into his nose. The punch must have shocked him because released her arm to hold his nose. But Marinette didn't stop there. An injured nose wasn't going to keep him from running after her. While he was still momentarily dazed, Marinette used all the strength she had left to kick him right where the sun doesn't shine. The man crumpled on the floor and Marinette took off running. She was a few feet from exiting the gate when she heard a loud groan. She turned back but never stopped running. The man was running towards after her. Marinette mustered all the will she had left and pushed herself to run faster. She thought she had nearly made it out of the gate when she felt an arm wrap around her waist and pull her towards them.
She was starting to squirm in his leather-bound arms when she realized who was holding her.
"Chat!"
"Hey purrincess"
"Oh thank goodness it's you"
Marinette could feel the breeze running through her hair. She clutched on to Chat tighter. Luckily they weren't too far from the bakery. She wasn't too used to being a passenger riding on a baton. Usually she would ride solo on her yo-yo. They landed with a soft thud on her balcony. Chat Noir grabbed Marinette's left arm gently.
"Are you ok? Did he hurt you?"
She watched as he turned it both ways, careful not to hurt her.
"I'm fine, but you should have seen how I left him" Marinette cracked a half smile. She didn't like seeing Chat Noir all worried. That was her job.
"I did, nice job!" Chat Noir smirked and raised his gloved hand for a high five. Marinette reciprocated the action and they both burst out in laughter.
"Nice right hook by the way, where did you even learn to punch like that"
"A lady never reveals her secrets"
Marinette opened the trap door that led from the balcony to her bedroom and climbed down. Chat followed.
"I'm kidding, I learned watching superhero movies with my dad and because I wanted to make sure I was prepared if Chloe ever really tried me."
Chat laughed and made himself comfortable on her bed. She laid right next him and started the movie. It was one from a few days ago that they hadn't finished yet. The credits began rolling and Chat found himself yawning. Marinette had fallen asleep a bit before the ending. Chat placed the empty snack bowls on the nightstand next to her bed. He tucked her into bed and made his way to the trap door. Before leaving he gently lifted her arm and placed a soft kiss on her wrist. She smiled in her sleep.
"Sweet dreams princess"
And with those words the cat had disappeared into the night.

Sorry I've been on hiatus for almost exactly a year, just two months earlier, yay

Who's counting anyways?

I just wanted to say, Thank you for reading

And Thank you for supporting this series
~ author T