-12-

Malhotra Mansion was utterly quiet, the clock snored away while the lights slept off . The darkness of the rooms anticipated the near future at the mansion. A posh car drove into the driveway and a suited, well-built man got stepped out. He had a crisp jaw-line and well shaped salt-and pepper hair. 

"Are sahab, aap aagaye!"Kaka welcomed him. 

"Ji kaka, akhir kar. Jab gaya tha toh kuch chord gaya tha, itne saal baad hosala aaya hi, soch raha hu, le gau. Kya khayal hi?" Mr. Malhotra warmly smiled and sincerely questioned kaka for advice. 

"Sahab voh aapki icha, sab aapka hi! Es ghar ki ek hi toh jaan hi. "Kaka replied. 

"Usi jaan ke liye aaya hun. Chalo, zara es sardi mein ek chai aur pakorde toh khil ao!" Mr. Malhotra lighted the talk and made his way into the house and Kaka went to prepare Mr. Malhotra's chaska

Within a few minutes, kaka brought out a hot plate of the bread-pakorda's and chai which Mr. Malhotra whole-heartedly enjoyed along with kaka. They had just finished the plate when Manik came in running into the house. 

"Dad!", he gleed. 

"Manik, my son! How are you?"Mr. Malhotra responded fervently. 

"You know it, dad!"Manik replied. 

"You'll be better once I am gone. Brave it, my boy!" Mr. Malhotra strengthened Manik. The father-son duo chatted for a long time and caught up on their moments. They tossed in a game of chess, snake-and-ladder and even ended up pouring themselves a drink and playing cards. The duo's laughter jingled in the mansion that had been dead since so long; it was a breath of fresh air.  Their laughter was cracked by the sound of the clock as it struck 8. They eyed each other and said in unison, "Let's get this going."

Mr. Malhotra shifted himself into the library and Manik went out of the house taking the car along while Kaka cleared the table and any proofs that the two had met. Soon Nyonika's car pulled in the drive way and her arrival was announced by the clicks of her heels.

"Yahan itna andhera kyu hi? Ramu, open the lights, god damit!" Nyonika screamed.

Mr. Malhotra flicked open the lights and descended down the stairs with a big smile. 

"Welcome home, Nyonika" , he announced bringing her out of her astonishment. Nyonika startled up and composed herself. She had to be careful, cautious and keep a close eye on Manik now! She knew he was up to something and playing back- a very good game. She hadn't brace herself enough when Manik came in and excitedly welcomed his dad again, but who knew that except three men and the mansion's walls. 

"Dad, how are you?"

"Very well son! I heard from Mr. Bakashi and the accounts primarily that Nyonika lost something. And of course, you have been put up to her for long! " Mr Malhotra smirked. 

"What do you mean? Are you going to.. Oh no!" Manik whistled away. Nyonika stared wide eyed at Mr. Malhotra.

"You know the success of divorce rates have been high this year, my boy! I was thinking may be I should try my luck too!" he said and threw the papers in front of Nyonika. "Sign them and you know you them earned, very well!"

"You can't do that! Who's going to.."Nyonika squeaked looking at the disaster she was flooded in. 

"Don't you utter Nyonika! More than anything you have earned this- not the money, not the respect, not the fame! Nothing, you ruined everything! We married Nyonika, I was in love but, now I regret it! You took my heart, but I didn't expect you to take away my son! The money, the industry, the fame- everything was an acceptable fine trade for me only if you had given me my son! But you ruined it for yourself, Nyonika! I have been keeping a tab on you Nyonika, more than what you imagine and unfortunately, I have only got to refute everything you tell me. I have not found a laughter echo in this house, not found hope and not have I found my son in peace! It was my mistake, my sin that I took so long and fantasized that a son needs his mother more than anything! But, no, I was wrong. You have done enough damage, ruined my heart enough, ruined Manik's life enough!" Mr. Malhotra raged and as his decibel rose, his voice echoed in the mansion. His threatening voice not only shuddered Nyonika but, also sent shivers down Manik's spine- he had never seen his dad so enraged. "It was between us, the give and take! Then, why did you fucking drag him, an innocent soul, in between! Why is his throat on the knife? Why are you up to shackling his and his friend's careers? Speak up, damit!"

A numb Nyonika couldn't voice out a syllable and she stood there in silence. Her mind raced deciphering if she had any chance of being saved from the murderous down pour of Mr. Malhotra. 

"I'll save you the pain Nyonika! These crisp papers that lie in front of you, I'll get them done. They won't need signatures! You thought I was a love-sick puppy, darling, in your nefariousness and esurience, you overlooked a big-loophole here. I am the greatest shareholder of the company. So, I'll keep it short- welcome to the roads!" Mr. Malhotra smirked and threw the papers in her hand.

 Nyonika gave a confused, nasty look at him and read through the papers. It finally struck her, Mr. Malhotra hadn't worked this out, out of the blue; the deal wasn't canceled just because of her shabbiness; the student's weren't hyped for the Stardust-deal just like that; and neither did the media pester her because they were interested in publicizing the Talent Hunt. It was all a strategically woven, very childish but finely mastered game gifted to her by none other than her son- Manik Malhotra! 

Having lost the company and the money, she was left with nothing, well put in her language, and only the little shitty start-up Mr. Malhotra gave her as an act of "kindness" or better said- a beggar's earning. She was contemplating whether to put up another show or to accept that she had lost the toss but before she could finalize and implement, Mr. Malhtra's voice broke in- "Not on earth Nyonika! You are gone this time, and none of your plans would land you back the shares or in my house!"

My house. There is no coming back from that, Nyonika concluded. The two words were powerful enough to convey to her that the once "Malhotra Mansion" was now a home! 

"Fine." she hissed. "You have got me out now, but don't think your done with me!"

"Oh, I know how done I am with you, babygirl! Guards, throw her stuff outside! And Nyonika, I would be glad if you can walk yourself and your frivolousness out. You know you might want to save some of your respect out there!"Mr. Malhotra averred.

-------------

Hey, 

Thank you for so much love and support! It's all so because of you guys that I still stuck to an every-day update thing! 

So story-wise: How's it going? Nyonika, is out or do you think we should call her back in later?

 Thank you once again and keep stuck and sticking by my side on this journey! 

Happy Reading!

Love, 

HF