Chapter 1

Sunlight poured through the thin branches above Fernwhisker's nest. The nursery roof was filled with gaps, letting warm yellow light stripe the earthy ground like a tigers pelt. A bundle of white fur pressed against Silverkit's side as she nuzzled deeper into Fernwhisker's soft grey fur.
"Come on, lets explore the camp!" Silverkit's brother's voice cut through her peaceful nap. Bramblekit bounced on top of Silverkit, making her grumble. Annoyed, she flung out with her little paw, but Bramblekit dodged.
"Kits, play outside! You know it's too crowded in here!" Fernwhisker's gentle meow sounded above them.
"Come on, Fallingkit, Hailkit! Let's go!" Bramblekit hopped off. Silverkit's sister, Fallingkit, was curled up next to Silverkit, her flank rising and falling. Her other brother, Hailkit, was just blinking sleep from his eyes. Fernwhisker rested her head on her paws. Her long grey fur gleamed in the sunshine. Fallingkit was a small, swift pure white she-cat with pale yellow eyes. Fernwhisker had said, "I really don't know where that white fur came from, but it sure is pretty!" Fallingkit was also the second-youngest of the four. But especially Bramblekit knew not to judge her by her size and looks. Fallingkit was fast and although she was gentle and patient, her claws were sharp and she sure knew how to hiss.
Bramblekit was like a little copy of their father, Brackenheart. They both had a silky brown tabby pelt and shared the same bright green eyes. But Bramblekit's toes and chest were white, while his father was all brown, and he had a paler undercoat.
Fernwhisker had always said that Hailkit had gotten his grey-speckled pelt from his grandfather, Dustfur. But he had earned his amber eyes from Dustfur's dead mate, Firenose.
Lastly, Silverkit was sleek silver tabby with a long bushy tail. She had a white chest and paws, and brilliant blue eyes. She was the second-oldest after Bramblekit. All four littermates were almost four moons old.
"Hurry up! Wake up, Fallingkit!" Bramblekit prided his sister with his white paw. Big mistake. Fallingkit's eyes flicked open. As quick as lightning, her paw flew out, cuffing Bramblekit's ear. With a hiss, she rose to her paws and arched her back, showing off her gleaming white fur.
Bramblekit muttered something under his breath and stalked to the sunny entrance of the nursery.
"I bet as soon as I'm a warrior, Volestar will make me deputy!" He bragged.
"You have to have an apprentice first, mouse-brain!" Silverkit shot back. I want to be a leader, too! And I'll make Fallingkit the deputy right away. She thought. Silverstar... the name has a nice ring to it! Silverkit purred.
Bramblekit snorted and was about to step out into the open, when an earsplitting screech of terror filled the air, followed by crashing, crunching and surprised yowls. Bramblekit's eyes stretched wide and he shrank back into the nursery, ears flattened against his head. Silverkit shivered, her neck fur bristling. Soon, the clearing outside was filled with the screeches of what seemed like millions if battling cats.
"Kits! Come here!" Fernwhisker shrieked. But it was too late. A huge, black tom with amber eyes burst into the nursery, a ginger tom and a light brown and white tabby she-cat behind him. A large pink scar trailed over his left eye and one of his bottom teeth was sticking out if his mouth. The ginger tom snarled.
"No! Where's Brackenheart?" Their mother hissed.
The black tom didn't answer, just sneered. Then, without warning, he pounced on the kits. His two companions lurched onto the others. The light brown tabby swiped at her with her paw; so hard that Silverkit saw stars. Darkness blurred the edges of her vision and she struggled to remain conscious. Soon, she let herself be pulled into a shadowy hole of silence. Silverkit stayed limp as the she-cat wrapped her jaws around the scruff of her neck and lifted her off the ground. She couldn't even manage a whimper as the sound of Fernwhisker's screech of agony ripped through the air. Then everything went black.
That's my first chapter! It's a bit short, but its just meant for you to have a brief idea what's going on.