Things Never Really Change

"AAAWWWW sheees's soooo beautifuuuull!"

"Shut! Up!"

There was something wet & cold squishing against my cheek. I couldn't make myself wake up. My face burned & my head pounded in that stupid way when you've been crying all night & now you have to force yourself to face the next day. Whatever this tiny, sticky thing was tapping my cheek; it was annoying me awake. I pried my eyes open to the biggest baby blues & sweetest smile.

"Mikey!" I sat straight up, & he grabbed me up in his open arms.

"April! You came back!"

Ice Cream Kitty was thwapping me in the face repeatedly, smearing her ice cream paws in my hair & it was now sticking to my face. I couldn't really tell if she was happy to see me too, or if she was trying to swat me away from Michelangelo. He was holding her under his arm in a plastic cooler. He hugged me again & hoarsely whispered; "I was going to put out a missing person's report, but somebody wouldn't let me!"

His voice was loud now in my ear & he glared over his shoulder at someone behind him.

"Oh God! Move out of the way!"

A wide, dark green hand came over Mikey's shoulder & wrenched him away. I sat with the blankets wrapped around me, inches from Raphael's sharp, handsome face. His fiery green eyes were staring into mine unapologetically. A gentle smile slowly emerged & he threw the weight of his arms over me in a rush of vulnerable joy.

"You're home. April. Oh, you're home."

He held me tight for a good minute. My breath was taken, he was rarely this moved. I knew how much he had missed me without another word. He held me as gently & firmly as if he were afraid I might fly away & I could feel tiny drops falling on my t-shirt. I hugged him back as tight as I could, clutching the great spikes on the back of his shell. He pulled away, looking down so that no one could see his wet face & he ran the back of his hand across his flat nose as garishly as if it was only bloodied & bothersome.

"Well I'm glad to see you, Sis."

"I missed you too, Raph."

Mikey pulled the three of us in together again & Raphael brutishly palmed his face in approval.

"This is so great! Donnie's gonna be so happy you're home!" Mikey squeed.

I saw him standing there before they heard him speak. Donatello leaning in the door frame behind us. He was so lovely, for a second I forgot we were older & I half expected him to say something corny, like I had always remembered him; collected in thought until something struck him as obvious & he just had to point it out. But the darkness of his presence made him menacing when he spoke now.