A Squire of Storms

I smile at my grandmother, and the smile is returned. The wrinkled edges of her eyes become more prominent, and the blue between them glints.

"You're a knight," she says, lips not moving.

"Yeah," I smile. I find it hard to stand in place as my feet shuffle against the kitchen floor. I can't smell the bread, but I know it is baking. "Ser Willis gave it to me. He died." He died? Yeah, he died. Wait, no, he didn't.

I'm standing near my bedroom door. Boots tap the wooden floor. No, it's familiar bare feet walking against the wooden floor. My chest tightens. What do I do with the sword?

The doorknob shakes.

Ser Willis steps out the door. "Tamen, did you tell your grandmother?" He's smiling a toothy grin. The sound of blood rushing courses through my ears.

I nod.

"You hear that, Mama? Your boy beat me," he boasts, "He's finally a knight."

My grandmother smiles, tears covering the rims of her eyes. She's in front of me, and we're outside "I'm so proud of you."

A firm hand lands on my shoulder, "Good job, Boy."

Ser Willis becomes small, his hair white, the corner of his eyes wrinkly. He's my grandmother. A hand cups my cheek, "You're a liar."

My skin grows cold, and an electric shock flies through my skin. My eyes fly open, and my labored breathing continues.

Thunder clashes behind me.

Where am I? My chest heaves rapidly as I sit up. I let out a sigh and recall the last three days of running. Rain falls outside the crevice I lay in as I make myself comfortable within a large cave. My horse stands just outside the crack, his presence made known as lightning flashes behind him. A gust of wind brings in the smells of the familiar forest.

I sneeze, not lightly. One of those that makes you double over and groan in pain before lightly rubbing your nose. Rain neighs and stomps the ground as I move closer to the dim fire. Even with the flames smothered down to embers, I breathe out a small thank you. The inside of the small, dark cave feels warm and forms a vivid contrast against the frigid storm wind. Once again, thunder roars, and Rain stumps the ground anxiously. The horse stands underneath an overhang formed by the cave near the entrance.

"It's alright, Rain."

I stand, my eyes only following a glimpse of what I saw earlier as I try to approach the horse. Lightning flashes, and I smile at him as my hand reaches for the bridge of his nose. I hush him, doing my best to show calm.

The sky introduces us back into darkness. He leans slightly into the touch and I let out a breath.

"Be firm, Tamen. Firm, but gentle."

I listen to Ser Willis and place my small palm against the bridge of Tony's nose. The horse quiets down, but his nerves are still visible.

"If you aren't firm he won't listen, but if you aren't calm, it'll prove he has something to fear."

I rub my jaw before my teeth can clench at the memory. My gaze turns to the exit of the cave. The trees protest against the wind and bring a spray of rain inside the cave every so often.

"We only have half a day's walk; hopefully, the rain lets up before morn–"

Thunder clashes loudly, drowning out even the wind and the trees. I coo at Rain as he kicks at the ground unsteadily. Lightning flashes, coloring the sky purple and striking down the earth in the distance.