12 - Unlocked

"Kenneth!" Byrd yelped behind him. The NPC stumbled back and shook his head before glitching forward and simply standing up straight again. He waved the gun as if nothing had happened, staring coldly down at Kenneth.

"Get inside," he said. He didn't even flinch.

Looking back, Kenneth glanced at Byrd and stepped back. He gripped his hand. It didn't hurt, but he rubbed ath is knuckles anyway. 

Byrd walked up to him but kept her hands to herself. She frowned at little, though, her eyes skipping over the features of his face.

He swallowed and stuck his hands in his pockets, trying hard not to hold his breath. He'd regret it later, he knew it. 

"Why?" she asked after a moment. 

His lips parted and he sighed a little. "I...I don't know. I was frustrated I guess. Thought we could get out of here? I mean, we have to get out..." he murmured softly as his eyes skipped between the NPC's surrounding them.

"I said get inside!" the man with the gun yelled again. "Now!"

Keys jangled from a few feet away. Kenneth's head lifted and he spotted two guards walking stiffly towards them. The patch of the full-blood's was on the back of each of their jackets as they lumbered up. One of them grabbed Byrd's hand and the other reached for Kenneth.

He jerked back and stepped away. "I'll come," he said quickly, keeping his arms away from the NPC. The guard cocked his head, but something in the computer must have registered his meaning and the guard just pointed to the door ahead of them.

Kenneth turned and took a deep breath, walking ahead of the two NPC's as they left the truck and their captors behind them. His heart pounded in his chest, almost hard enough to cause more pain. He coughed and tried not to rasp loudly as he walked. His avatar likely wouldn't react unless he passed out again, but he couldn't let that happen. I'm laying down, not actually walking. 

He felt a little more air rush into his lungs. It wasn't much, which was probably a bad sign, but he could make it. He picked up his pace just a bit, keeping distance between him and the guard. 

Outside the prison door, they were pulled to a halt. Kenneth glanced around quietly as they got out the keys. He wondered how soon they'd be able to escape. His eyes trailed back, though, and spotted the two NPC's and their driver watching them. If they'd respawned after his punch, they weren't the way out. Combat quests are a lot more complex, he thought and glanced down at his fist. 

The door grated open. Kenneth lifted his head and peered into the un-generated darkness. The guard grabbed his shoulder and shoved him. Jumping, Kenneth jerked himself away and hurried after Byrd into the dark opening. The guards boots clattered heavily after them as they entered the small cramped space. Kenneth hugged his arms to his body, glancing right and left at the empty and filled jail cells. It appeared the game creators had thought of everything fro the drunk one-nighter to the rougher looking prisoners he noted as they walked to the back. His throat grew dry with every step, the mantra that this was a game running through his head fast enough he was barely aware of it. He kept his steps even and in line with Byrd's, though, attempting to keep himself from panicking and essentially causing more health complications. 

He marveled quietly at how she simply walked to their directed cell, though, not saying a word except to scowl darkly at the guards. If she was scared, Kenneth couldn't find any sign of it in her body language or face.

"In here," grunted the guard on the right. He pointed to the open cell. 

Byrd's lip curled as she looked up at the guard, but she stepped inside. Kenneth followed and moved back from the door, his chest starting to heave softly. He waited where he stood just long enough to watch the guards close the door and walk away. Then he sank down with his back to the wall and leaned his head back.