Chapter 4

"Nicki?"

Pain coursed through her body—not unusual at this point. She groaned and tried to open her eyes. They barely fluttered open.

"Honey?" Her dad whispered again.

"Dad." She croaked out the one word, using just about all the energy she had.

His hand brushed her forehead gently, almost as if he was scared of hurting her. "How are you doing?"

"Just peachy," she groaned.

He sighed. "What did they want?"

She swallowed. "Something about military outposts in the galaxy."

He sighed again but didn't speak. A faint, lapping sound replaced his breathing and the air around her shifted as she struggled again to open her eyes.

"Dad?" Her eyelids cracked open just enough for her to see a wide, open space. Not the cell she should be staring at.

"Dad?" With a burst of energy, she sat up noticing the lack of pain.

"What..." Her head swiveled as she took in the empty pier.

Atlantis.

She pushed to her feet and looked around, trying to gauge which part of the city she was in. As she faced the water, a door behind her swished open. She turned to face it, realizing belatedly that she had no weapons to protect herself.

Daniel Jackson stepped through and smiled at her. "It's lovely, isn't it?"

"Daniel?" Nicki frowned and looked behind him.

"It's ok." He smiled and stepped toward her. "I'm not real, just your subconscious speaking to you."

She looked him over. "This is what Dad saw, isn't it? When he was almost dead and you appeared to him."

Daniel nodded. "Yes. A little different but yes."

Nicki's eyes swept the area again. "So why are you here?"

"You forgot something important. I'm trying to help you remember."

"What is it?"

"I don't know," he shook his head. "I might not even be the right one to help you."

"Then why am I seeing you?" Nicki pushed her windblown hair out of her face.

He smiled gently. "Because right now, you need someone safe. A confidant."

Nicki smiled and took his hand. "You're really good at that."

He squeezed her hand. "I know. But ultimately, you'll have to the slay these dragons without me."

A tear slid down her cheek. "Daniel, why? Why me? Why this? Why can't I remember?"

He wrapped an arm around her, pulling her into a hug. "You will remember. I have faith in you." He kissed her forehead.

Tears trickled down her cheeks. She could feel the breeze her dream shifting, slowing as if she was almost to wake.

"Don't go, Daniel." She whispered.

He sighed. "I'm never really gone, ok?"

"Ok."

Her eyes blinked open.

The dark interior of her room greeted her. No ocean breeze or comforting friend nearby.

A glance at her clock showed she still had a few hours before reporting to the lab. Sighing, she pushed back the covers and climbed out. There was no way she'd be getting back to sleep.