Chapter 5

"Where is it?" The voice hissed in her ear.

Nicki stared stoically ahead, barely flinching at her captor's proximity.

A hand smacked her face.

"Where is it?" The voice demanded, louder this time.

"I don't know." She answered evenly, glaring even though her captor stood behind her.

"Tell me the coordinates for the new base."

"What new base?" She asked. "I have no idea what you're talking about, man."

Another blow struck her, this time in the stomach.

"You will tell me where the Tauri have set up their newest base."

"Dude," Nicki coughed, catching her breath, "I have no idea. Nada. N-O."

He grabbed her hair and yanked her head back so she could see his eyes. Yellow. "Tell me now or I will kill your father in front of you."

"I still won't know." Nicki spit out the blood from her split lip.

"You better. Or I will kill your father over and over before you." He circled her. "So again, I ask, where is it?"

"Again."

Nicki sucked in a breath and pushed to her feet on the mat, assuming her stance. Teyla nodded at her.

"Remember to keep your feet beneath you." Teyla admonished.

Nicki nodded, adjusting her feet. She pulled her fists up to protect her face and watched Teyla closely. She also listened for Ronon who had snuck in a few minutes ago.

Teyla circled her and Nicki followed the movement. When Teyla's arm darted out, Nicki twirled out of reach. Her hair swept behind her, and despite her weakened muscles, Ronon noticed that she kept her balance well.

Teyla nodded at her. "Very good. You're getting stronger."

Nicki smiled but kept on guard. "Thank you, sensei."

Teyla quirked an eyebrow, knowing she didn't understand the reference. "Continue practicing and next week, we'll add Ronon to our session."

Nicki grinned at him. "That should be fun."

He nodded at her, seeing past the grin. Her eyes showed exhaustion but she seemed determined to fight through it. Teyla had told him that she needed something to distract Nicki. The scientist was too controlled and Teyla knew that weaknesses in her fighting would be best exposed by a new variable—him.

Nicki's earpiece beeped and she jogged over to pick it up. "Sorry, I have to go." She said to Ronon and Teyla after listening for a moment. She nodded to them, grabbed her bag, and headed out.

"What do you think?" Teyla asked him.

He shrugged. "She's well-trained. A bit clumsy at times but that seems to be from her recovery."

"And her emotional state?"

He scoffed. "I bury mine because it works for me. If it helps her..."

Teyla shook her head. "She is plagued by nightmares. You know this."

He nodded. He'd heard her whimpers one night when he and Sheppard walked by. Sheppard had told him it was normal but Ronon didn't like it. Most mornings, he saw Nicki up walking, jogging, or doing something other than sleeping—which if he read the circles around her eyes correctly, she desperately needed sleep.