22

Three weeks later, Abigail gently caressed the face of a young girl, smiling with false adoration.

"That man," said Abigail, "from therapy." She turned around and looked over her shoulder. Hannibal stood above her, eyes half-lidded yet poised with dark delight. "Is that the Will Graham that the Legacy talks about?"

Hannibal smiled and kneeled beside her, and Abigail returned to gazing at the dead girl beneath her.

"Yes," answered Hannibal. "The only human who's ever killed for us."

"For you."

Hannibal hummed at that, slipping Abigail's silver knife into her hand. His chest warmed at her words. "It was my father who took Will's parents," said Lecter, "and my father who he's after."

"Not anymore," said Abigail with a shake of her head. She glanced her fingers across the knife, its cold surface sending delighted shivers up her spine. "Your messages, your influence..."

She adjusted her grip on the knife, brushing away the girl's hair. "He doesn't know the many bringers of Death," she continued. "But he'll be expecting you."

Hannibal faintly smiled at that, and Abigail smiled back. She pressed the knife into the girl's hairline and began to grin. Lecter rose a brow at her.

"That smile," he chuckled. "What are you thinking about?"

Hobbs' eyelashes fluttered, and she glanced at Hannibal before carving a thin line across the curves of the girl's face. "You like him," said Abigail. "Don't you?"

Hannibal blinked, startled by the accusation. "I'm entirely fascinated with him," he said. "His emotions, the way he sees things..."

"Nobody's ever killed for you before," breathed Abigail as she shoved the knife under ligaments and junctures. Hannibal's brows furrowed in thought at that.

"He says that he wants to kill with me," said Lecter. "Become my friend."

Abigail set down the knife and grabbed the top of the girl's face, smoothly peeling it away with a smile. "In due time," she hummed, holding the face in her hands and admiring it. A thought came about her face, and Hannibal noticed.

"Azmaveth," she muttered, settling the face in her lap and gazing at Hannibal. "Will you turn him?"

Hannibal stilled at that, and he lapsed into silence for a moment. Abigail watched patiently, ignoring the body beneath her and focusing on Lecter.

"I'm not sure," he said slowly, gazing at the ground.

"You've turned me," she said. "I think Will Graham has earned it."

"You already have Death's blood in you," reasoned Hannibal. "For me to immortalize a human..." He paused, mulling over the thought, and shook his head. "It hasn't been done since Equinox's Legacy."

"She succeeded, didn't she?"

Hannibal reluctantly nodded. "Someone like Will..." He shook his head and returned his focus to the body. "Let's talk about it another time," he said. "Right now, we need to focus on the message."

Abigail hummed, lifting the face up again and gazing at it. "I want to meet Will Graham," she said. "Get to know him better instead of hear about him through stories."

Hannibal smiled. "He's still on your case," he said. "Let me work things out first."

Abigail nodded, exchanged glances with Hannibal, and they both returned to work.