24

"He never fails to surprise me," said Hannibal, leaning against his desk. "And to think he has connections as such."

    Thana, the horseman of Famine, gave a simpering smile. "As a criminal, one must know their way through authorities," she said. "When I heard I'd be altering a file for Will Graham..." Her brows rose, and she lazily gazed over at Hannibal. "Well, it was an honor."

    "He kept his promise," he muttered, tipping a glass of red wine to his lips. Thana watched, gaze intense.

    "When will you tell him?"

    Hannibal rose a brow, playing dumb as he gazed at her. "Tell him what?"

    Thana rolled her eyes, sitting down on the long couch and brushing a lock of black hair from her pallid face. "That you're Death," said Fames calmly. "Though I've been enjoying the game you play with him, I must admit, I'm growing impatient."

    She crossed her legs, leaning against the side of the couch. "Aren't you, as well?"

    Lecter walked across the office, sitting in his usual chair. "I find it rather amusing," he drawled, taking a long sip of wine. "To watch him grow—see the way his mind turns every time there's a new message."

    A faint smirk toyed the edges of his lips. "He's caught me twice so far—accused me of being Death. Yet, each time, I'm able to persuade him away from the truth."

    Thana hummed, gazing down at her thin, bony hands. "When you show him who you really are," she muttered, "how do you think he'll react?" Her eyes flitted up to him, hidden behind thick lashes. "I assume he'd be angry, no doubt."

    Hannibal lightly chuckled at that. "Most definitely," he said. "All this time, the truth has been right before him? He will be angry at me, himself... at his abilities." His eyes ran up the ladder on the other side of the room, gazing at the bookshelves. "Despite the anger, I have a feeling he will find a sense of... completion. A final end to the mystery, the messages, the thrill..."

    Thana's black eyes glinted. "Will you have your way with him then?"

    A dark look came across Hannibal's face, and he smiled. "I want to make history with him," he said. "Of course—for as long as I'm allowed to."

    Thana made a face of distaste at that, shaking her head. "Right," she said, remembering. "Your father's orders."

    Hannibal bowed his head, sighing. "I'm going to visit him again soon," he said. "Try to change his mind about Will Graham."

    "Will Graham has been a pain in your father's eyes for a long time," said Thana. "Many of your relatives have chastised him for not dealing with him sooner." She gazed pointedly at Hannibal. "Though I too wish for him to stay, you must look through this in a realistic lens."

    Hannibal nodded. "Love does many things to the mind," he said, taking a sip of wine. "It fogs the brain, changes it... overrides rules and morals."

    Thana rose a thin brow, interest glimmering in her eyes. "You've fallen for the human?"

    "To the extent which I can feel in this form, yes," said Lecter. Thana shifted in her place, staring at Hannibal.

    "That'd make your task much harder, Azmaveth," she said.

    Hannibal shook his head. "I'm not attached to Will Graham," he said. "In the time where I must decide whether to choose the Legacy or a human, I will always choose my Legacy."

    Thana smiled in satisfaction with his words. "When we meet Mr. Graham," she said, "will we all kill with him?"

    Hannibal's eyes glinted, and he set his wine glass down. "I have many plans for him," he said smoothly, mulling over the possibilities. "But for now, I'm focusing on finishing the message."