Chapter 16

I woke up in shambles the next morning. My blinds were fully pulled to the side so the sun had prefect entrance to ruin my day. I sat up on my elbow and tried to recall what happened last night. My memory was a bit fuzzy though. I remembered Cal coming over uninvited then...then the club? Why would I go to the club? Because I'm stupid, that's why.

I ended up getting mad at Cal and then walked off only to be harassed but two hot guys. Every girl's dream. But, but then Cal saved me. He took me home and put me to sleep.

I scanned my room but I couldn't see Cal; not even lurking in the corners. He left me a note on my night stand thou. It read, 'Don't flatter yourself pumpkin. Your panties are still untouched.'

That was it. That was all he had to say to me. Did I really expect more? Maybe; kind of.

"Laken," Pierce said my name as he walked in. 

I scrunched the blankets closer to my body to hide the ridiculous outfit I wore the night before.

Pierce stared at me with pure concern. "Where were you last night?"

Oh no. Do I tell him the truth? Could I? Would he understand?

"Nowhere important," I replied. I wasn't exactly a lie.

His brown eyes narrowed in on me like a hawk. "Don't lie to me. I'm your brother. Mother told me Cal was here last night and while I was visiting our parents I checked on you. You weren't here. Where did you two go?"

He was in big brother mode and I knew how he felt about Cal; how he feels about every guy I date.

"Nothing happened." I didn't want to worry him.

"Nothing happened. Laken this isn't you. You don't sneak off into the night without telling us, with your acclaimed boyfriend. What's going on?"

He saw right through me. "Nothing. I'm fine Pierce."

"I'll ask you again. Where did you go? You weren't in your room."

I had sweat beads running down my forehead. I hated getting interrogated by family. "I wanted some fresh air. Cal suggested a walk. We just went around the neighborhood."

"I'm not buying it Laken. You mean to tell me you were sick, had your boyfriend over, then magically disappeared for a walk but didn't want to use the front door."

Breathe Laken. I hated lying to him but he wasn't ready for the truth. Cal was evil and trying to kill me. I knew I should have told them who Cal really was but for some reason I couldn't. Not yet. I wanted to figure this one out on my own. I couldn't kill Cal, or let my family try. Not until I knew what his reasons for killing me were.

I nodded because I didn't trust my voice to convince him.

"I don't like this Cal guy." He fumed. "There's something about him that digs into my skin."

"Even if that's true, I can take care of myself."

Pierce shook his head, disappointedly. "That's the thing Laken. You think you can do everything by yourself. You maybe be part of the blessed but you are still not invincible."

Our little conversation ran through my thoughts all throughout the day. He was right. Sometimes I believed I was indestructible. I guess it made me feel safe believing I was. Let's face it I was lost, like spiritually lost. I wanted to believe Cal was just bluffing about killing me, after all what would my death mean to him. If I died the only thing that I could see benefiting him would be more demons roaming the earth. Maybe that was his plan. He, a strong fallen angel, had teamed up with the devil to kill my family off one by one; therefore causing hell on earth. That made great sense in my head.