Chapter 5

Evening, Romans! So, sorry about last chapter. I know somw of you like Proserpina, but sometimes characters must be scarificed for the good of the plot! I hope you enjoy this chapter. This is a flashback of before Naledi was born into her dimension. Hope you like it :)

Chapter 5

"Be sure to equalize your balance and work on your posture. You must be in control of your weapon. The weapon does not control you."

Rendier picked up his sword from the ground and tightly wrapped his fingers around the thick handle.

"I feel myself holding back, Amazonia." He confessed to hit mentor.

Amazonia quietly studied him for a moment before speaking.

"I know you are, Rendier. You are afraid you will hurt me. But I can assure you that you won't."

She held up her arm, preparing for another round of sword dueling. Rendier sighed and positioned himself as well. He was fearful of hurting his friend, no matter how many times she proved herself to be agile and precise. Amazonia was one of the best guardians and lethal with her sword in hand.

"Ready?" she asked with an arch of her brow.

"I guess I-"

He was interrupted when she suddenly lurched forward and hit the center of his blade with her own. Rendier jumped backwards and held up his sword in a defensive stance.

"Rule one," she said as she began to circle him with a calculated expression. "Always expect the unexpected." She swiftly moved her sword and spun it around his. "Your enemy will not wait for you to be ready."

Rendier then jumped forward and began hitting his sword rapidly towards her in different angles. Amazonia successfully blocked every one of the blows.

"You're weak!" she taunted. "Do you believe yourself worthy of being a guardian?"

Those words hit a sensitive spot within Rendier, but also ignited a small spark of anger as well.

He quickly drew his sword once again equalized his weight on both feet. He glanced down at his equally spaced feet and the one's of his opponent. Before he charged, he kept a levelheaded approach. He kept his sword close to his body as he dodged towards her.

Amazonia watched her feet and every single move of Rendier. She quickly countered his attack by moving to the side and spinning around to face him again.

"I am the enemy, Rendier!" he charged again. "Are you going to be a coward?"

Rendier extended his arm and flexed his muscles. His posture tensed. He used so much force, that when their swords collided, Amazonia's flew right out of her hand. Rendier twirled his sword and aimed the weapon at her throat with only a few inches away.

"Good work." She praised with a small smile.

Rendier breathed heavily, and she could see his body trembling from the excitement.

"Calm yourself, Rendier." She whispered as she slowly stood. "I apologize for provoking you, but I needed to see your anger in order for you to not hold back. Any sort of hesitation could get you killed."

He dropped his sword and wiped the light coat of sweat from his forehead.

"I know, Amazonia. I just prefer to avoid violence."

"You're going to have to travel to your realm, Rendier. And you will face battles even greater than this. Only I won't be there to guide you."