Part 6

Arriving at the electronics section, Kori pulled the go-kart to a halt and turned toward her friend who had yet to utter a word since before the show she put on in the arcade. Since Skylar was looking straight ahead, Kori called her name to get her attention. However, when she didn't respond Kori had to call her twice more before blue eyes blinked and glanced in her direction questioningly.

"Are you okay? You're pretty quiet."

Nodding, Skylar briefly smiled.  "Yes, I'm fine.  I was just thinking."

"Penny for them? Quarter even?"

Smiling again --although this time for a longer period-- the blonde shook her head. "I'm not putting them up for sell just yet."

Returning the smile, Kori nodded. "That's fine," pausing, she leaned toward the other woman. "So, are you ready to do it?"

"Do it?" Skylar very nearly whispered.

"Yeah, do it. To show you what a nice girl I can be, I'll do it with you." Skylar started to speak then closed her mouth while looking reflective and a little puzzled. Kori barely held in a giggle. "I figure the sooner you do it, the sooner you can get it over with." She indicated some equipment set up on a shelf. "There's the karaoke machine."

Blue eyes glanced to what she was referring to. "Oh! Right. I'm supposed to sing." Skylar nodded. "Yes, I'm ready."

That captive giggle nearly breaking free, Kori coughed in the hopes of masking it. Evidently, it worked because Skylar didn't look in the least bit suspicious. "What did you think I was talking about?"

For a moment, the dentist resembled a deer caught in the headlights of an approaching Mack truck. "Exactly what you were talking about." Not wanting to wait for a response, Skylar jumped out of the go-kart and headed in the direction of the karaoke machine, trying to look casual. She thought she detected a giggle, but when she glanced over her shoulder toward the other woman, her expression was sober.

"Have any ideas on what you would like to sing?" Kori asked, sidling up to Skylar. "Do you listen to music?" Or did dear old dad forbid that too? A frown briefly took residence upon her face. I'd like to deck that guy.

Fingering one of the microphones attached to the karaoke machine, the blonde nodded. "Yes, I do like--no. I love music. We have speakers set up throughout our dental office and there's always music playing through them. Plenty of patients have complimented on our taste in music and mentioned that it helps them to relax." Spotting the grin on her friend's lips, Skylar arched an eyebrow. "What?"

Kori softly chuckled. "I was just thinking that if you were my dental doc, I'd be relaxed no matter what was playing. Even if you had to pull a couple molars, give me three or four fillings and a root canal I'd be relaxed just looking up at you."

Despite the resulting blush, Skylar still laughed. "One, just so you know, I'd never perform all of those procedures during the same visit. Two, you won't be able to view much, because I would have my trusty blue mask on. And three, thank you."

"One, that's probably wise, although I'd just want to get it all over with if possible. Two, do you greet your patients with that trusty mask on? If not, I'd recall what you looked like behind that mask and the image inside my head would assist in keeping me relaxed. Plus, I could still stare into those lovely eyes. And three, you're quite welcome."

Laughing again, Skylar shook her head. "Have I mentioned that you're too much?" she affectionately asked.

A hazel eye sent her a wink. "I do believe you did earlier this evening. Shall we continue?" Kori asked, pointing toward the karaoke system. When the other woman nodded, she inquired about her favorite musicians.