6

"H-hello?"

There was no reply except stunned silence.

No one made an effort to say anything else so we all just stood there in awkward silence until the pink-haired queen spoke up.

"I-its quite c-cold in here isn't it?"

Only then did I notice that everyone but me was shivering. I didn't feel cold, in fact I was quite warm. Must be a perk of my ability. I make a mental note: I don't feel the cold anymore.

"Sorry about that...I think it's me. We can go outside if it's warmer?"

The Queen nodded, and then they all walked outside and gestured for me to do the same. I took a few steps forward, but my head felt really heavy for some reason. I looked back- maybe my hair was caught on something?

Holy...

My silver hair was lying in a lump on the bed. I traced it from to top of my head to the very end. That's got to be at least five meters. W-what? Why does my ability even affect hair growth? I work with ice, this makes no sense.

I hear a knock on the window, clearly I'm taking too long.

I quickly look around for something to hold my hair in, but the only bag around is my school bag. Good enough. I tip everything out and stuff all my hair into it with no hesitation.

Once all the loose strands are in the bag, I sprint outside, worried that I've annoyed the royals by taking too long.

"S-sorry"

"Uhhh...that's okay. What's with the bag?"

"I have no idea why but in the past week my hair has had a life of its own and this-" I gesture to the bag "is the only way I have of keeping it clean."

"Fair enough I guess."

I'm just about to ask what her name is when the former king interrupts rudely.

"Come with me."

What? Why?

Luckily for me the Queen retaliates.

"Arlo stop being such a prick! She's been out for a week! Don't you think she deserves some chill time?"

Instead of heeding her words like I hoped he would, Arlo just glares at me and acts like the Queen doesn't exist.

"Now."

I shiver. This guy is seriously intimidating.

"O-okay."

I walk with him in silence, biting my lip to keep me from retaliating. I'm so pathetic. Even with an ability boost, and God knows how strong I am now, I still walk behind the royals like an abused dog. As soon as I find out exactly how strong I am, I'm going to establish my presence in this school no matter what. 

Then I realise what I've just thought of.

Really? I'm already turning into a brat? I can't believe it. Can't I do anything right?

"You said you name was Clover, am I correct?"

I guess we're here then. I nod.

"You introduced yourself as a low teir, and yet you manage to freeze your entire dorm room- and you weren't even doing this consciously. Care to explain?"

He leans forward, a menacing glare in his eyes. How do I explain this? I guess I'll have to start from the beginning.

"I-I've always been a low teir. My ability level was 1.2 until fairly recently. I went to New Bostin Middle School. I knew John, but we were never friends. He never seemed to hate me though. Once I graduated, my dad and I moved here because of his job. I decided I was going to try to get into Welston. I worked very hard, and achieved my goal. When I moved here I saw a masked guy beating up a low teir. It made me so angry that I couldn't help but intervene. So I beat him up. During the fight I noticed that I could do something with my ability that I hadn't been able to do before, but thought nothing of it at the time.  However, John happened to be watching the whole thing, and after the fight he called me over to him and asked me some questions. After this he said that he thought I might be a late bloomer, and listed some side affects. I suddenly felt really ill and passed out. Evie, who was the low teir I saved, called Seraphina and carried me to the infirmary. I accidentally spilled Johns secret to Seraphina, and she walked off to go and talk to him. A few hours later I walked back to the dorms, when I realized that I looked completely different and then passed out on my bed. I didn't awaken for a week, but I'm pretty sure you know the rest."

He looks deep in thought. 

"Was the secret about John that you split to Seraphina about his ability?"

I nod.

"I'm going to call Remi and she's going to take you to the infirmary where you will have your ability level read. Thank you for telling me this."

And then he walks out, just like that. Who's Remi? I wonder. Only one way to find out I guess. I wait.

A few minutes later the Queen walks in. 

"So your name is Remi?"

She nodds.

"Arlo told me to take you to the infirmary, so you can have your ability read. Do you feel okay by the way? You've been out for a week and you look pretty pale."

I smile. At least she seems nice.

"I'm fine. Apparently this is just my normal skin colour now."

I sigh.

"Sorry if I'm being inconvenient...Arlo's a pretty intimidating guy."

She laughs.

"Tell me about it! And he can be such a prick sometimes y'know?"

"Yeah!"

We hear crashes and yelling from outside.

She sighs, and I look at her in confusion.

"That'll be Isen and Blyke again...honestly I don't think those two can go through a day without getting into a fight. C'mon, let's go break it up."

I point to myself.

"M-me?"

"Don't worry, you won't have to do anything. And besides, you're a high teir aren't you?"

"I guess"

I smile, then follow her out of the door. I think I might have found another friend.

But when we get out of the door, it's not what we expected. Isen and Blyke are lying slumped covered in blood against the wall, and facing us is John, ability activated, with the most muderous look on his face that I have ever seen.

"Oh."

He glares at me before grabbing a black mask out of his bag and saying;

"You. Me. East Courtyard. Now."

I gulp. I guess he found out about how I accidentally snitched on him. I hope Evie and Remi will come to my funeral.

​​​​​