Prologue

AN: Please tell me any mistakes/plot holes I make, it's my first fanfic. 

                                                31st October, 1981

A cloaked figure walked through the swarm of sweet-craving children. He hated what he was about to do. To kill a child, a magical one no less, was an act of unparallelled evil. Despite what others thought, Lord Voldemort had morals; albeit not many of them anymore. He reminded himself why he was here. To stop himself from dying. It sounds selfish, until you realise that Tom was one of the few people that were aware of Dumbledore's manipulations, and could stop them. The prophecy was fresh in his mind. He had been given it by Severus Snape; he could be stopped before Dumbledore was. It went:

The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches... born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies. One mistaken for the other, will rise. A double broken...

He hadn't heard the rest. It was the Potters. They were the only ones that matched the descriptions. Voldemort had reached the gate. He passed it and blasted down the door; display his over dramatic personality. He heard a man, James, call out to his wife "Lily! Take Jen and Harry! He's here-"                      

Voldemort stunned him. Severus had asked him to spare the girl. It would be counterproductive if the pureblood was dead, but the muggleborn was alive. 

Voldemort climbed the stairs and walked into a labelled nursery. The mother, Lily, begged "Please! Take me instead! Please! Spare them! They are only children! They don't deserve to d-" Voldemort stunned her too. He now only had one problem. There were twins. Tom looked to the left. Jennifer, her name was.

She had wavy red hair and a chubby face. She had mud- brown eyes and a magic level that was barely above a squib's. Now to the right. Hadrian. He was shocked. 

Sitting in the crib was a small boy with one purple eye, one emerald eye. His hair was a miniature galaxy. He had an ethereal glow  that seemed to draw people in. His magic... his magic was incredibly powerful- not that either knew it at the time- and was simply breathtaking. There was a variety of colours mixed together but they worked in harmony. He had an aristocratic look to him.

Voldemort aimed him wand, but turned away. He uttered the dreaded words Avada Kedavra.  

If he had looked, he would have noticed the glow of magic around the boy catching the curse; throwing it back to the caster. Tom would have avoided it. But he didn't. His soul was ripped from his body and split. Half of the remaining shards entered Hadrian's soul. The first living horcrux. The other half was left to wander. The ceiling collapsed and struck the other twin on the cheek, forming a crude V.

Hadrian's soul had been sent to the celestials, who had promptly sent it back to his body.

                                                         The Next Day

 Sirius rushed into the house at Godric's Hollow. He saw the form of his best friend on the floor. He was, for once, left without words. He began with silent sobs. Although he thought it useless, he tried every spell he knew to wake up his friend, begging for him to live. James stirred. Sirius hugged him. James was just confused. Then he remembered. He muttered to his friend "Sirius, is everyone else okay? All I know is that he came." James rushed upstairs. He found his wife on the floor and Sirius woke her. They looked at the children and noticed that there was a cloak on the floor. James went up to Jennifer and noticed a V on her cheek. Sirius picked up Hadrian, but smeared the blood from his forehead, covering his scar. 

Albus Dumbledore walked in.

He looked at the cores of each child. Looking at Hadrian's, he knew that he was the 'boy-who-lived.' However, he could not have the Chosen One able to turn on him at any moment, and win. Albus saw the level of Jennifer's magic and decided. He bound Hadrian's magic and announced "Joyous day! Young Jennifer is the Girl-Who-Lived!"  The parents jumped for joy. Albus cast discreet compulsion spells at them to forget their eldest son. He adopted a miserable expression and said to the family "Unfortunately, Hadrian here became a squib due to the magic backlash" They all looked heartbroken. In reality, Albus had merely cast a magic binding spell and a number of blocks.

That day might have been the first time he was ignored, but it certainly wasn't the last.