1

Virgil stood there staring at those double doors with a playful frown. New town, new school, new problems... At least he had his hoodie. Virgil laughed as he hugged his favorite black hoodie tighter around his shoulders. It was a gift from his fathers on his 17th birthday and he couldn't love it more. 

He had his schedule. He had everything he needed for his classes. Now it was only a matter of dealing with his peers' initial shock over his... style. Virgil narrowed his eyes watching all kids rushing about as he pushed through the doors. Already he could feel his anxiety brimming to the surface. It's ok. Everything is going to be ok. Virgil could hear his dad's soft voice in his head as he let a deep breath out. It's nothing he hasn't gone through before. 

It's just another new school. With the amount of time Virgil's spent in the very situation, you'd think he'd be used to it by now. He checked his schedule over again as he made his way down the hall expertly dodging people as he tried to find his class. He was focused so solely on finding his way he didn't notice the eyes that watched him from the other side of the hall.

"I don't know Dee. Something doesn't seem right." The boy in the green hoodie frowned as his friend sighed. "Why is he so adamant about finding one now anyway?"

"Maybe it's because we found each other, Ray." The boy in the beanie shifted uncomfortably as he watched Virgil, who finally walked into his class. "I just don't understand why we have to find them for him. It isn't... He knows he can't just pick someone right?"

"Honestly, Dee, I don't know what's going on in his head." The one in the hood whimpered softly as he held his head against the oncoming headache. 

"Remus?" 

"Don't..." The beanie wearer frowned in concern as his friend growled out trying hard to ignore the pain. "It's nothing."

"He's doing it again, isn't he?" Remus nodded as he leaned against his friend. "Why? Haven't you proved you don't want..."

"Don't, Dee. It's fine. At least he lets me stay here... with you." Remus smiled softly as he held Dee's hand. "You the only thing I care about. After losing everything I did... I don't want to lose you."

"You won't, Remus." Dee frowned as he hugged his love close to his chest, watching everyone scatter at the sound of the school bell. "But that won't matter if we don't find someone fast."

"Virgil Dean, right?" Virgil smiled as he nodded towards his teacher. "It's nice to have you, here. Did you find you're way ok?" 

"Yeah, thanks." His teacher smiled softly as Virgil fixed his bag over his shoulder.

"I'm glad. May I see your..." Virgil handed his schedule over before he could even finish earning a pleasant laugh. "I'm you're homeroom teacher but you also have me again after lunch. I'll be teaching your Home ec class. You have a pretty good schedule. Math and Art are after each other. Things are pretty spread out." 

"That's good, right?" His teacher nodded as he handed Virgil back his schedule. "Thanks, Mr. Sanders."

"Please... It's Thomas." Thomas beamed as Virgil nodded before walking over to an open desk. Not 3 minutes later this boy walked in. Remus... His green hoodie was stained with yellow and red paint and his dark faded jeans made him look like a creative slacker. His eyes were dull and nearly brushed making him look more sick than tired. Virgil frowned seeing his gaze fall on him before darting about the room. "Remus, is everything ok?" The boy frowned as he nodded taking his seat and making Thomas look concerned. Virgil didn't understand why entirely but Thomas seemed like the type of person to care for everyone. "Well, since everyone's here. I guess you all free to do as you please."

For the most part, everything was ok. Virgil sat there drawing in his sketch pad with his headphones on. He was content at least there. The thing he noticed though was as soon as Thomas had said it was a free day, he went and pulled that Remus kid aside. Those two spent the entire class period talking. Thomas looked really concerned. Remus was rubbing his shoulder clearly nursing a headache while shaking his head. Whatever they were talking about Virgil could tell the teacher was very worried. 

Soon enough the bell rang and everyone spilled out into the hall. Everyone but Virgil and Remus. Virgil packed his bag and slowly made his way over just as the teacher was telling the boy his goodbyes for the period.

"Take it easy, Remus. Everything will be ok. I'll talk to you later ok?" The boy nodded about to leave only to freeze as his eyes met Virgil's.

"Is everything ok?" Virgil didn't understand why he was concerned but he guessed he would have to chalk it up to having a therapist for a father. The boy's eyes darkened as he huffed out a yes but Virgil wasn't convinced. "I have some Excedrin if you need it." Remus's eyes narrowed as Virgil shuffled through his bag. "I get headaches all the time and I guess I just saw the signs." He handed some over only for Remus to look confused. "I'm Virgil Dean... new kid."

"Remus Trebaine. I'm not new." He laughed a bit as he handed the meds back with a smile. "Thanks but... I have a tolerance to them... better to save them for someone they'll work for." 

"You sure you're ok?" Remus nodded as Virgil fixed his bag over his shoulder properly and sighed. "Good cuz uh... I might need some help." He didn't he just didn't want to leave the other. He knew he was lying. Virgil was really good at reading people again he could blame his fathers for that. "I have English with a Ms. Harrold next and don't have a clue where to go."

"I have her next too. I could show you if you'd like?" Virgil smiled as he opened the door for the other who looked about ready to fall.

"Yes, that would be a great help. Thank you so much."