6

"Dee, where's Remus?" Virgil once again saw that violent flinch and his heart literally shattered. Why was Dee doing that every time Remus was mentioned?

"At home."

"Is it safe to go get him?" Dee moved till he was looking up at Virgil who was focused on driving and frowned in confusion. Virgil only sighed. "Is it safe for us to go Remus right now?" Dee only shook his head. "Ok. That sucks but right now I've got you at least."

"I have to go back, Virgil." The anxious boy slammed on the breaks thanking the heavens there was no one behind him when he did. Dee looked terrified. 

"What do you mean you have to go back?" Dee was shaking as Virgil looked over at him. "Dee, please. You can't..."

"Virgil, he's my al... my..." Dee sighed as he turned himself around and deflated. "I don't have a choice. I have to go back. Besides, if I'm not there he'll only hurt Ray more. He has enough pain dealing with him normally."

"Dee..."

"Virgil I just can't tell you." Dee groaned as he held his head already feeling a headache starting. Damn his alpha was an ass. He leaned forward pressing his head against the dash as Virgil continued his drive. He didn't have a choice. He didn't have a choice. He didn't have a...

"Everything is going to be ok, Dee." Virgil's voice cut through the noise of his own mind and the young man could hold back the smile. "I'm not mad... or stupid. I know it won't be easy. And I know sometimes you just can't get away. I'm not going to leave you just because you can't leave him." Dee's eyes widened as he looked over to see Virgil smiling softly. "I don't know the situation. I don't know what's going on. I don't even know who he is to you. I do know, however, that you are my friend. You and Remus both..." Virgil's eyes darkened and for the first time ever Dee heard a sentence that should have been spoken by his alpha. "... and I will do everything in my power to protect you two."

"Protect us?" Virgil nodded as his smile widen a smidge.

"Yep. Protect you, care for you... I'll be the hand to pull you up and the shoulder to cry on. I'll be the man to give you your excuses and the makeup to cover the bruises." Virgil's eyes shine as he took Dee's hand supportively. "You and Remus don't deserve this at all. But I know how hard it is. I told you... I'm the son of a therapist. You don't ever have to worry about how I'll react. Even if you go back tonight... which I don't really recommend. I'll still be there tomorrow if you need me to."

"Thanks, Virgil." Dee was taken back. He'd never heard that from anyone. Not that his mate wouldn't have said it but... Their alpha was supposed to protect them. Not this... human. Virgil shouldn't need to but here he was saying that he would. In fact, Virgil, Remus, and him felt more like a pack then Colt ever did. And it was Dee's job to turn the boy over to that asshole. "I'm sorry."

"Hey, don't apologize. I told you I understand. Right now, with me... you're safe." But you aren't. Dee wanted nothing more than to forget that stupid order. He wanted to tell Virgil to run. He already tried to before but... He can't disobey is Alpha. He just can't. He didn't have a choice.

"Colt's not a bad guy." Virgil frowned hearing the subtle shake in Dee's voice as he smiled over at him. "He's not. He cares and he's kind. You don't have to worry. He even offered to take us to hospital..." Dee's eyes flashed as he gripped the seatbelt tightly. "He cares. He was asking about you the other day. Said he wanted to get to know you better." Virgil frowned in realization as Dee shrugged. "Remus laughed but I don't know. Colt seemed genuine. He said he found you interest..."

"Did any of this actually happen or are you trying to lie to make me think Colt really isn't a bad guy so that Colt can try to hit on me and maybe have a chance because he wants you to set us up and that's why you came with him today and why he was there at the ice cream parlor and why you said you wanted some only to freak out? Dee, I'm not stupid. No, I'm not going to change my view on him. No, I'm not going to forget what I saw. But yes..." Dee's eyes went wide as Virgil smirked. "I will be friendly with him. I will even go so far as to try and hit on him if that means I'll be close enough to protect you two."

"Virgil, don't even..." Dee winced as his head started hurting again and Virgil frowned in concern. "I mean... I mean, good. I don't care what the reason in. As long as you give him a chance."

"Oh, I'm not going to give him a chance. I am fully aware of the danger he poses." Dee frowned as Virgil gripped the steering wheel tightly. "But I will do ANYTHING to protect my family."

"Stop the car!" Dee was out before Virgil even came to a full stop. 

"Dee!" Dee couldn't do it. He just couldn't do it. Virgil just said they were family. Virgil... Virgil was more a packmate than Colt. How could he just hand him over? How...

"I'm sorry. I'm..." Dee cringed as he closed his door. He waited, listening to the sounds around him praying to god Colt wasn't home yet but... Where else would he be if he wasn't? Dee walk on ignoring the haunting scent of blood that clung from the carpet from last night's bout of anger. He walked passed the mess in the living room only to reach a door with the broken knob. "Ray?" there was a groan and Dee sighed with painful regret as he walked in to find Remus laying on the bed all covered with bandages. "I'm home?"

"Did he... v-virgil?" Dee shook his head moving closer as he laid beside the broken boy. His eyes were a dull lifeless green slitted partially in a more feline way that didn't really fit what he really was. But then again that was him. His mate... his love. "Hey..." Remus slowly moved to take his hand as Dee started to cry. "I'm ok. Don't cry. I'm ok."

"Ray, you got hurt protecting me." Remus smiled as tears started to fall from his own eyes pulling Dee's hand in as his chest burned. "I'm so..."

"I love you, Janus." Dee's eyes went wide as Remus whimpered at the sudden pain saying that name gave him. "Don't ever apologize for me loving you."