Chapter Seven

~Thursday 19th September 2013~

"Watch your step, pet," Elspeth giggled when Slate gripped his hips, preventing him from tripping over a tree root and falling onto his ass, "maybe you should take a breath and calm down before you hurt yourself," Slate didn't look to be too pleased by Elspeth's mood but the boy simply couldn't stop grinning. He was a child of the forest and, although it wasn't his own that they had ventured into that night, he could still feel every fibre of his being coming alive with the woodland energy.

"I can't," Elspeth leant into Slate's chest, listening to his heartbeat, wondering if that would manage to calm him like it usually did, "I'm half wood nymph, the forest speaks to me, I have to listen."

"Listening doesn't mean you have to run everywhere, pet," Slate slipped his hand into Elspeth's, his tight grip preventing the boy from straying too far away as he continued to lead him through the forest like a child, "you never told me what type of nymph you were. What's your other half?"

"Water," Elspeth bent down swiftly and picked a flower, inhaling the soft scent, "my father is wood, my mother was water. That's why my eyes are purple. Wood nymphs have pink eyes, water nymphs have blue eyes," Elspeth stood up on his tiptoes, slipping the flower in behind Slate's ear, "red suits you."

"Come on, they'll be waiting," Slate smiled, leaving the flower behind his ear whilst the two continued to walk through the forest, "do you have powers? Being both wood and water?"

"Yep," Elspeth stopped and stooped down next to a wilting blackberry bush, lifting one of the branches and closing his eyes. He barely even needed to concentrate as he blew gently on the darkened leaves, opening his eyes to see the plant in full bloom once again. He picked a handful of berries, holding them out to Slate, who was staring at him with that faint smile once again.

"That was pretty cool," Slate chuckled, eating one of the berries, leaving the rest for Elspeth, "can you do that with every plant?"

"Anything with a life energy," Elspeth said with a nod, "we feed off of it, it's how we sustain our immortality, we're not like you, it's not a natural phenomenon to us. We can wither if we're not in the presence of living things," Elspeth saw light in the distance, streaming through the tree line, a dark orange glow that made the shadows dance with the movement. Abruptly, a silence fell between the two, with Elspeth losing the confidence that he usually held, anxiety bubbling up within him. Normally, he didn't have any difficulty with meeting new people but Slate was the only wolf he had met, he wasn't sure how his pack would react to his presence.

Clearly Slate must have noticed Elspeth's apprehension, squeezing the boy's hand and flashing a reassuring smile down at him as they grew closer and closer to the light. Elspeth could hear people talking and laughing, moving a little closer to Slate when they finally entered the open space that had been carved out in the forest.

They weren't noticed at first, stood on the sidelines, simply watching in silence. Elspeth was well aware that Slate was hanging back to give him time to adjust, he probably would have caught everyone's attention had he not. It was a nice gesture, then again, Slate was always nice to him, even when he didn't need to be.

"What happened to always being here first, Slate?" Elspeth shied back when a boisterous looking man joined the two of them, trailing a very pretty woman behind him. Slate noticed Elspeth's change in behaviour, as always, and snaked an arm around his waist, probably to prevent him from running or anything like that. He wouldn't. He wasn't that stupid, he knew some wolves couldn't resist a chase, especially on a full moon.

"Who's your friend?" the man asked, smirking at Elspeth, "you finally got a boyfriend?" the woman next to the man scolded him quietly, shaking her head.