Chapter Twenty-Two

~Friday 25th October 2013~

Elspeth hadn't been able to shake his conversation with Christian, the words sticking to the forefront of his mind and flittering out of nowhere at the most inopportune moments. He didn't want to dwell on what they had discussed but he couldn't help it. Everything Christian had said had made sense. There were holes here and there, but surely that was the same with any theory. Nothing fit perfectly other than facts.

Maybe Slate was afraid of losing him, it would make sense, he had been so mentally and emotionally abused as a child his trust and self-confidence had most definitely taken a battering. Elspeth had eyes for no one else, he couldn't imagine anyone better than Slate, but everyone had that subtle fear within them of not being enough for the one they love. Why wouldn't Slate?

Elspeth couldn't help thinking about Angel, about what he had done, and what Christian thought of him. The boy acted like Angel had hung the moon, yet he was content to be with a man he saw as incapable of love. It didn't fit right in Elspeth's head. Sociopaths couldn't emote, that was the defining issue they faced, but Angel must have felt something for Christian. He married him, you couldn't marry a person you didn't adore. Although Elspeth knew that wasn't true in modern-day society, maybe the connection that Christian had told him was enough for the two of them.

Sighing, Elspeth stepped out of the shower and wrapped a towel around his waist. He dried his hair with another towel, staring at his reflection in the mirror, noting how exhausted he looked. Dark circles around his eyes, a dimness in his expression that hadn't been there a week ago, overall he looked weary. It wasn't a surprise to him really, he had been plagued with debilitating nightmares since the night of the full moon, it was bound to take a toll on him physically at some point. It just seemed sooner rather than later. At least the bruising on his neck had faded. That was something to be happy about, right?

Eden: Gonna be over at Leon's all night, have fun, birthday boy x. Elspeth let out a frustrated groan, leaning back against the counter, hoping Eden had texted the wrong person and it was all a huge coincidence. Doubtful.

Elspeth: Who told you? Who even found out? X. Stupid question, really, Elspeth was dating a man with his own security company, who else could it have possibly been?

Receiving no response from Eden, Elspeth assumed his suspicions had been correct, meaning Slate was aware he had kept his birthday from him. Great, there would probably be some stupid celebration to remind him he was another year older and another year into his endless eternity. At least that year he might not feel so alone, not with Slate by his side. Maybe the man would be able to do exactly what his father had been trying for the past three years and rekindle Elspeth's love for his birthday.

Elspeth collected a pair of sweatpants from the drawer in Slate's room, thankful that they had finally gone out to some stores and picked up a few more essentials for him. He didn't mind wearing Slate's shirts and hoodies but the sweatpants and jeans just weren't applicable for his body type. He didn't bother to put on a shirt since Slate kept the temperature in the house warm enough, venturing downstairs into the kitchen.

Elspeth hummed along with the low music playing from the stereo in the kitchen, swaying his hips subtly to the beat whilst he looked for something to eat. He was practically ravenous, having already skipped lunch when opting for a nap instead. Not that it had helped either way, he still felt sluggish with fatigue.

"Slate, do you want anything to eat?" Elspeth called out, having to stand on his tiptoes and stretch as far as possible to reach the coffee grounds that Slate had decided to leave in the top cabinet, knowing the man would at least want caffeine. Receiving no response, Elspeth rolled his eyes, collecting the bread and one of the various meats Slate kept in the fridge.