Chapter Forty

~Wednesday 18th December 2013~

"One more day won't make a difference," Elspeth giggled, tracing the rim of his paper cup with the tip of his index finger, taking great pleasure in listening to Slate whine and beg. It was somewhat therapeutic to see the tables turned.

"I don't think that's getting your point across very well, beautiful," Elspeth sipped his tea, still not sure whether he was too partial to fruit variations.

"I could just make us stay, you have to submit to me, pet," Slate countered, brushing his leg up against Elspeth's under the table, adorning that sly smirk of his.

"But you wouldn't, keeping me here by force would be no fun," Elspeth broke off a bit of the muffin he was sharing with Slate, leaning over and putting it into the man's open mouth, "you wouldn't do it anyway, you wouldn't abuse your power like that."

"Maybe I would," Slate traced the lines on Elspeth's palm, "the thought of tying you up and having my way with you is quite an interesting one," Elspeth giggled, his eyes following the paths that Slate's finger took over his skin.

"You don't need to keep me locked up a state over to do that. You have your house and your playroom for that."

"Our house, pet, our playroom. You aren't just a lodger with me, pretty boy, you're my lover. What's mine is yours," Elspeth blushed, looking away as he smiled foolishly, wondering how it was that Slate's affection could still make him so bashful. He thought he had gotten used to the kind words and gestures but the man managed to surprise him with something new every day.

"You can't run from your friends forever, Slate, they'll come looking for you sooner or later," Elspeth watched people across the street, for once not wondering what their lives were like, not wishing for anything more than he already had. Everything was perfect, there was nothing he desired anymore.

"If I really wanted to run, Elli, even Rei wouldn't be able to find me," Elspeth wasn't too pleased about the thought, he didn't want to know all the hiding places Slate might have, "I wouldn't leave you behind, pet," Slate clasped Elspeth's hand, making the boy feel a thousand times less distant, "I wouldn't ever leave you behind, I don't think I'd last very long without my pretty boy."

"Not with the blue balls you'd get," Elspeth teased playfully, "since jerking off does nothing for you anymore," Elspeth giggled like a school girl when two elderly women tutted and tsked as they passed, glowering at the two. He had to actually cover his mouth when Slate turned around in his seat and scowled right back at the women, sending them skittering down the street with their tails between their legs.

"Scaring old ladies, Slate Rossman, you are a monster," Elspeth chided dramatically, smiling at the man's laughter. It was only brief, but it was genuine, and that made it worth every second.

"I'm thinking of going for a run when we get back," in the blink of an eye, the conversation changed, leaving Elspeth struggling to catch up. He had been drifting recently, slipping in and out of his mind, losing time. He wasn't sure how long Slate had been talking before he had realised, or whether the man had simply been silent. Elspeth hoped for the latter, he didn't need questions, he didn't have any answers.

"Eden wanted to see us so I thought I could drop you off there for a little while and join you after my run," Elspeth found himself staring down at his tea, suddenly nauseated at the thought of continuing to consume it, "Elli? Do you actually hear me talking?"

"Yeah, yeah, sorry," Elspeth shook his head briefly, a feeble smile curving his lips when he met Slate's concerned gaze, "that sounds nice, where are you gonna run?" Elspeth knew he wouldn't be let off the hook for acting so strangely, Slate would stop assuming and start asking soon enough. He just hoped he had an answer by then.